Wooden La Voix de Son Maître 100

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
CarlosV
Victor IV

Wooden La Voix de Son Maître 100

Post by CarlosV »

I bought this one in France: it is a wood box (looks similar in texture to teak) HMV100, but badged as a La Voix de Son Maître. It is the first time I see such French model.
Attachments
20240425_142406.jpg
20240425_142331.jpg
20240425_142316.jpg
20240425_142308.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Wooden La Voix de Son Maître 100

Post by Inigo »

Very interesting.
Inigo

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I like it... it appears to be similar to a Victrola VV-50.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Curt A wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:35 pm I like it... it appears to be similar to a Victrola VV-50.
Yes, the HMV-100 is the English version of the VV-50: the same machine installed in a different and shallower box than the VV-50. The curiosity with this particular machine is that the common version made for the domestic market has a box covered in rexine (leather cloth), and the ones with varnished wood boxes were all destined to be sold in India, this one being an exception, made for the French market.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

CarlosV wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:34 am
Curt A wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:35 pm I like it... it appears to be similar to a Victrola VV-50.
Yes, the HMV-100 is the English version of the VV-50: the same machine installed in a different and shallower box than the VV-50. The curiosity with this particular machine is that the common version made for the domestic market has a box covered in rexine (leather cloth), and the ones with varnished wood boxes were all destined to be sold in India, this one being an exception, made for the French market.
Hi Carlos. I also have the exact same 100. The case is made from oak but it is very dark, almost black in colour. These were made exclusively for the French (Colonial?) Market. I've only ever seen 4 of them including my one and yours so congratulations on finding another rarity in amazing original condition!

I bet in France, few people know (or care) much about these and they are more likely to turn up in a street market sold for a 100 Euros than anywhere else?

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Here is my oak 100:
Attachments
7.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Steve wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:17 am

Hi Carlos. I also have the exact same 100. The case is made from oak but it is very dark, almost black in colour. These were made exclusively for the French (Colonial?) Market. I've only ever seen 4 of them including my one and yours so congratulations on finding another rarity in amazing original condition!

I bet in France, few people know (or care) much about these and they are more likely to turn up in a street market sold for a 100 Euros than anywhere else?
Thanks for the info, Steve, and for clarifying what kind of wood it is made. Indeed it looks almost black, and it does not have that oily look and touch of teak, and it would not make sense for a machine made in England to be made with teak. And yes, they don't value much these in France, the seller did not even care to look at the decal and said it was of an unknown brand. Most French versions of the HMV machines I have seen are identical to the English ones with La Voix de Son Maître decals, with exception of the French Lumière, and now this one. There may be others, still to be found, but unfortunately there is no extant documentation about their existence.

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

Thanks for these pics -- certainly, an oak Model 100 was never advertised in the UK. While this one was obviously for the French market, could it be that other overseas markets also had it in oak -- and were there also any oak 101s?

The dark finish is normal for HMV oak models throughout the 1920s - it was called 'antique' oak, in keeping with the fashion for Tuderbethan furniture at the time.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Hello Carlos, and congrats for this peculiar little addition to your outstanding collection! :rose: It's always a pleasure to see new 100s: this model is not very remarkable soundwise, but aestethically, with its miniaturized gooseneck tonearm, it's one of the nicest in my opinion. And the soundbox with the added engraving importée d'angleterre is really the icing on the cake! :clover:

An Balores
Victor I

Post by An Balores »

Anyone know what wood is used in the ordinary rexine-covered versions of the 101 and 102?