HM 102 ball bearings and washers

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Andrew H
Victor Jr

HM 102 ball bearings and washers

Post by Andrew H »

Hi,
I'm new here, I have just inherited an HMV 102 number 102025534 with 271-C on the base of the mechanism.
I took it apart and found a washer under the vertical helical gear and a ball bearing the washer was aluminium and not the correct ID and i don't think the ball bearing was even supporting the bottom of the shaft. I guess someone had been in there and lost things!
Is there a good exploded diagram showing ball bearings washers and their locations, sizes etc?
If not could someone please let me know the ball bearing sizes for either end of the governor and the one under the vertical helical gear?
Is there meant to be a washer under the spring can between the brass and the bottom plate?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I'm already looking for my next machine, something big..

Thanks

Andrew

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: HM 102 ball bearings and washers

Post by Inigo »

Hey, in Barry A Williamson's PHONOSERVICE book Gramophones of the twenties, there are complete exploded views of the HMV 102 motor, which could serve. They're reproduced from HMV literature of the time. I can check this later and send scanned pages.
Inigo

Andrew H
Victor Jr

Post by Andrew H »

Hi Inigo,

That would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Andrew

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Sorry me... It's not in Williamson's book! I've checked it page by page... I don't know where I saw that. It was a reproduction of HMV Co. instruction leaflets or maintenance books or something, where the motor 270D was shown in exploded view. Anyway, I remember from there that there must be a steel washer placed at the brass conical insert at the bottom of the spring barrel, to separate this from the motor plate. A screw goes at this end of the barrel, out of the motor plate, to attach the plate to the spring arbor shaft. The spring arbor shaf protrudes through that brass conical insert and the washer goes there, around the shaft end. That spring arbor shaft is the third motor pillar. This screw, and one at the opposite end of the shaft allows to extract the spring barrel without dismantling the entire motor. With the screws and shaft goes the washer. At the other end, the shaft also goes to a screw through the other motor plate, but here there is no washer.
The ball. The turntable spindle, which has a gear attached, goes into a small oil cup in the motor plate, and a bearing ball goes inside that cup, so the weight of the turntable, spindle and all rests on that small ball into the cup.
DSCN7923.JPG
Inigo

pumpkin
Victor Jr

Post by pumpkin »

I'm still unsure about the exact dimensions of the spindle ball bearing.
One source is kiddies maze games, problem is you can never find them when you want them, I had to make do with a peppa pig bubble blower pot with a game on top almost good for a HNV table top but a fraction too large and bound up when the plates were screwed up. shall keep looking.