Decca 10 soundbox replacements

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
osero1ww
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Never have I experienced happiness greater than fixing my gramophone by myself.

Decca 10 soundbox replacements

Post by osero1ww »

Hello everyone. I have an old Decca 10 portable that I got off ebay and have been working to have it fully operational. The motor runs quiet and fine after a spring replacement and regreasing, though the soundbox (unlabelled except for 'British Made' on the back) is quite damaged with the needle screws useless and distotion plagueing the sound quality. I have been searching for a replacement soundbox but given my limited knowledge due to being relatively new to this hobby (im just finishing highschool), I am a little lost in finding anything. Thanks to mrrgstuff for leading me here.
Attachments
20240525_121832.jpg
20240525_121918.jpg
I added black foam between the screws to hold the needlebar steady and help with the distortion. It's sort of effective.
I added black foam between the screws to hold the needlebar steady and help with the distortion. It's sort of effective.
20240525_122011.jpg
20240525_122052.jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Decca 10 soundbox replacements

Post by Steve »

The correct soundbox you're looking for will be the one shown in the picture below. They are not uncommon so I wouldn't be tempted to buy anything else unless you're happy to have spares, as nothing else really looks quite right and will just be wrong for it!

I'm not sure if I have a spare but I'll certainly look. Certainly the one you have with the machine is nothing to do with it and probably far too early for it. Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to repair it as it is a Goldring soundbox missing the fascia and probably will never be much good. Alternatively to the pre-war Decca soundbox you could throw the purist approach out of the window and replace that non original one with a post war Decca badged Meltrope III. That will give the best reproduction.
Attachments
201104_0.jpg
201104_0.jpg (32.28 KiB) Viewed 371 times

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Steve is correct the post war Decca badged Meltrope may not be the purist approach but will sound good! They don’t seem to go for a lot on eBay.
Attachments
4BEBCE95-B8A6-4D5C-8F59-448BD7B6BEB2.jpeg

osero1ww
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Never have I experienced happiness greater than fixing my gramophone by myself.

Post by osero1ww »

Steve wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:44 am The correct soundbox you're looking for will be the one shown in the picture below. They are not uncommon so I wouldn't be tempted to buy anything else unless you're happy to have spares, as nothing else really looks quite right and will just be wrong for it!

I'm not sure if I have a spare but I'll certainly look. Certainly the one you have with the machine is nothing to do with it and probably far too early for it. Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to repair it as it is a Goldring soundbox missing the fascia and probably will never be much good. Alternatively to the pre-war Decca soundbox you could throw the purist approach out of the window and replace that non original one with a post war Decca badged Meltrope III. That will give the best reproduction.
Well, I don't know much about being a purist, that might come later in life. I shall see about acquiring a Decca post war soundbox for the machine, unfortunately not everyone ships to Arabia, so I shall have to see for myself if I can find anything good. Thanks for the suggestion.

osero1ww
Victor Jr

Post by osero1ww »

jamiegramo wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:56 am Steve is correct the post war Decca badged Meltrope may not be the purist approach but will sound good! They don’t seem to go for a lot on eBay.
Seems to me that this is the best approach given where I am and the circumstances I am in. Just the problem is shipping, my location is not the best for these sort of things. Though try I must, thanks.