HMV Oil Bath Motors - Do they ever break?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
HMVDevotee
Victor I
Personal Text: Spin'em Fast!

Re: HMV Oil Bath Motors - Do they ever break?

Post by HMVDevotee »

Hello Garrett,

Late to the conversation about HMV 52 oil bath motors...

I took mine apart after determining that the oil pump had seized with old, dirty oil. I determined the oil path from the reservoir, through a ball check valve in the pump, up through a copper tube that fed channels pressed into a plate that lead to five oiling points in the motor.

In a previous post, I included photos that have been lost. I will attach them here and happy to add any advice you may need.

In my case, the graphite grease made a sludge that collected in the oil well (the reservoir as I called it) in the bottom of the cast housing. The sludge even filled the oil pump inlet hole in the reservoir. I first covered the pump inlet hole with a fine bronze screen which I then concluded would clog too easily. Then I made a fine bronze filter that I fit into the reservoir that captures particulate matter as it drops through the reservoir lid that, when put in place, is a funnel. One of the pics attached shows me holding the lid upside down, with my filter resting on it. The inside of the bronze ring should accumulate graphite dissolved in the oil. I use a fine sewing machine oil and fill the housing just enough to cover the lower pivots of rotating vertical shafts.

After two years use, I am going to take the motor apart this winter and see if my filter worked.

Message me if you would like further information.

Robert. (HMVDevotee)
Attachments
52resevoirscreen.jpg
IMGP2129.JPG
IMG_3074.jpg
IMG_3072.jpg
HMV52OilPorts.jpeg
HMV52OilPorts.jpeg (83.54 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
HMV52oilpipe2.jpeg
HMV52oilpipe2.jpeg (96.29 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
IMG_3046.jpg
IMG_3046.jpg (133.32 KiB) Viewed 1069 times

Garret
Victor IV

Re: HMV Oil Bath Motors - Do they ever break?

Post by Garret »

Hello,

I am just now seeing this post, as I have been busy these last few weeks. Thank you very much for sharing!

Sincerely,

Garret