Welcome to discussions of UK machines

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Welcome to discussions of UK machines

Post by Valecnik »

Not sure how this got set up. I suppose thanks go to one of our illustrious moderators. Thanks very much!

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Welcome to discussions of UK machines

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Valecnik wrote:Not sure how this got set up. I suppose thanks go to one of our illustrious moderators. Thanks very much!
Valecnik, you stole my thunder! :lol:

I've taken the liberty of migrating some of the EMG / HMV threads to this forum. Please feel free post links to others as you find them and I will transfer them to their new home.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

This is a very good idea, which I am sure will be much appreciated by UK enthusiasts looking for a well administered forum on which to post.

I look forward to seeing an influx of new members from this side of the pond, and will do what I can to spread the word.

mjbramham
Victor Jr
Personal Text: The music goes round and around and it comes out here

Post by mjbramham »

I'd just like to add my thanks as well, this is a really useful way to collate information specific to UK machines, I hope it helps a budding British collector or two to get off the ground and helps us all to learn more about the hobby. A real step forward for us in the UK who spend a lot of time here. Much obliged to you, administrators!

Frankia
Victor I

Post by Frankia »

Can I also just add my thanks for this idea. Well done.

Ian
Victor O

Post by Ian »

I'd like to add my thanks also. Much appreciated.
Ian

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

I too would like to thank the administration for initiating this sub-section which I am certain will prove beneficial to all. Very many thanks indeed.

It is a matter of great regret that the lunacy emanating from “the other place” has, for most people, effectively ruined a wonderful opportunity for discussion of our gramophonic interests in a happy, positive and objective fashion. We now have the opportunity to put that right.

In my case, I am unfortunately unable to directly answer the complete falsehoods propounded in relation to my work on the other side of the pond as I was banned, along with many other sensible contributors last year (May), for no good reason. Suffice it to say that I am absolutely not in the business of destroying anything and am only interested in the creation and re-creation of wonderfully designed musical instruments which is what EMG/Expert gramophones are, in my opinion. Certainly they give my friends, family and I enormous happiness on a daily basis.

The object of having produced a limited run of twelve “new” instruments (incorporating as many original parts as possible) is to be able to allow others to share in this wonderful world.

Contrary to what has been said, the new EMG Oversize horns together with re-manufactured internal Mk X conduits have been made because there are so few originals in existence. Absolutely no original parts have been destroyed in the process nor ever would be—they are far too valuable quite apart from anything else ! The object has always been to achieve acoustic excellence as far as is possible and it is true that three tonearms have been transferred from Mk IX to Mk X cases---an easily reversible situation if desired but why would anyone want to do so since sound reproduction is vastly improved by the increase in horn size ? Similarly, of the twelve re-created instruments, I have only inherited three original horns good enough to use. These have all been re-employed in appropriate original situations. I have not set up to make new tonearms as they are quite complex and the demand is just not there for what they would have to cost. The horns are made from cast aluminium as per original but the bells are fibre glass instead of papier appliqué. By common consent, the sound is indistinguishable from the original which was carefully copied in every detail and dimension.

The other point to remember is that EMG themselves converted older gramophones to the latest technology in the nineteen thirties and modified cases and horn systems accordingly. My work is similar and does not seek to deceive in any way as indeed a quick visit to the UK forum will show where the full true story in my original posts still stands. Visitors to Hampshire are always very welcome where any excuse to listen to EMG gramophones will be taken at the drop of a hat ! The beer and wine are good too !

I hope this will clarify the situation beyond doubt.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Emger,

The lunacy emanating from the other place is clear. Let it continue if he likes. Nobody here cares.

I'm sure though that others here, in addition to yours truly, would be interested in hearing more about your 12 new instuments. Detailed pictures accompanying would be great. You might want to start a new thread on just that topic! :D

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Many thanks Valecnik and I should be delighted to do so when time permits which I am afraid will not be for a while due to other commitments.