An early EMG "copy" from Beltona?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
dd2u
Victor I

An early EMG "copy" from Beltona?

Post by dd2u »

I was previously only aware of Beltona from their records (many in a "foreign" language), and some barely interesting machines. However, this is something quite different:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-BELTONA- ... 0969103485

A floating papier mache horn, and an aluminium diaphragm, in 1924?

What were Messrs. Wilson, Ginn et al up to at that time? Who was copying (or shall we be more polite, and say "inspiring") who?

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: An early EMG "copy" from Beltona?

Post by Steve »

Ginn had a fish and chip shop at that time and hadn't gotten around to copying Seymour yet! Did Ginn achieve anything significant before 1930? I think not.

Wilson was making holders for ladies lipsticks.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The Beltona Peridulce was designed by Captain H.T.Barnett M.I.E.E. who was a regular contributor to the Gramophone magazine in the 1920's. It anticipated the EMG in it's use of papier-mache for the horn, and was also ahead of it's time with an aluminium diaphragm.

A friend owned one until recently and now appears to be suffering withdrawal symptoms, so if he bids successfully this one will be coming down the M5 from Gloucestershire to Somerset. If it does, guess who will be helping to collect it.... ;)

recordo
Victor II
Personal Text: "Allow instrument to run whilst winding"

Post by recordo »

screenshot for the inevitable day when the listing disappears.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-01-29 at 9.55.15 PM.png

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

My friend decided not to bid for it, having been distracted by an even bigger machine which he did buy, and yes I helped to collect it!

I would have liked the Beltona myself. The selling price was reasonable, but as usual the problem was lack of space.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

It wasn't "reasonable", it was a steal!

Have you noticed how all UK collectors in general have tiny houses and can't accommodate anything bigger than an HMV 102 portable? I wonder why the 'wealthy folks' in their big houses, are never interested in collecting or owning gramophones?

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Steve wrote:It wasn't "reasonable", it was a steal!

Have you noticed how all UK collectors in general have tiny houses and can't accommodate anything bigger than an HMV 102 portable? I wonder why the 'wealthy folks' in their big houses, are never interested in collecting or owning gramophones?
Exactly! I have two very large machines in my smallish house - they really dominate the place. I can't imagine many people squeezing them in the way I have. If I had a TV it would have been incredibly difficult!

I'd have loved to snap this one up - no room for it - as you say Steve, a steal, and fascinating historically.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Orchorsol wrote:

Exactly! I have two very large machines in my smallish house - they really dominate the place. I can't imagine many people squeezing them in the way I have. If I had a TV it would have been incredibly difficult!

I'd have loved to snap this one up - no room for it - as you say Steve, a steal, and fascinating historically.
The best listening is anyway in a smaller room imho and in a smaller room you don't need such a big machine, big horn etcetera. Even a big machine with a big horn never sounds quite as good in a large living room unless you position yourself in exactly the right place.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Orchorsol wrote:

I visit many UK collectors, and very few of them own smaller than average houses.

For the benefit of our non-UK members, the average UK house is generally considered to be a three bedroomed semi-detached.

My house is larger than average, but it contains as many machines as can be displayed properly whilst still keeping the peace on the domestic front. Any more and it would start to look cluttered, so something would have had to go to accommodate the Beltona.

It has been my experience that the few collectors who cram large numbers of machines into small houses tend to live alone!

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Well I've currently got 69 machines in a 4 bed detached. Am I doing ok? :lol:

And that includes an HMV 202, a Trombophone, an Expert Senior, an Algraphone, a library Bijou Grand, HMV saxophone horn model AND a coin slot Le Concert Automatique Francaise!

I can now play "Battle Of The Horns". My neighbours must wonder what those strange sounds are emanating from my house. It certainly doesn't sound like a TV, especially as I no longer even have one.