HMV meets EMG

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
old country chemist
Victor II

Re: HMV meets EMG

Post by old country chemist »

Hello there. In answer to a couple of chunny's questions. 1. I am sending a picture of the back of the soundbox, and 2 there is no address on the ivorine plaque, all it says is "made by EXPERT gramophones limited" which probably proves it is a late model. George never made soundboxes to fool anyone. He made them as he preferred to use his own eqiupment. He made several in the 1960s-70s. He originally started producing them for a Mr John Bratley, who advertised them in "THE GRAMOPHONE" magazone, I think either in the war, or in the late 1940s.So there are probably only a handful-maybe 10 or 12 produced-and how many survive today, we will never know. He even produced at least one soundbox for hill and dale recordings, and was commisioned by Norman White of "Nimbus" to make a new one for use on the large Sadam2 machine, but George was starting to feel his age by then, and he found great difficuly in working with the small parts. Sad really as he was a fine engineer. Much missed, even today, for his expert advice on acoustical problems, and his dry wit.
Attachments
george overstall soundbox 1970s.JPG

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Re: HMV meets EMG

Post by chunnybh »

OH! very nice and nothing like the other one. The spring alignment is deceiving in the front picture. The picture of the back revealing no symmetry in placing the springs. How odd.
I'm sure Mr Overstall, was trying to improve on the EMG and Expert soundboxes and this looks like it might have done just that. I'd love to hear it.
It looks a lot lighter. Is the chuck slotted for bamboo?

I've seen one Senior with an Ingerthorpe plaque ( post 1939). Oddly it had an Expert 2 spring soundbox. I believe the last one made was in 1947, mind you there were Senior horns left unsold, so they were probably still putting them out to order when a rich loony wanted one.