Book on UK Gramophones

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Book on UK Gramophones

Post by Valecnik »

I suppose many of you already have this book but in case not, I bought it some months back and have to say it's a very high quality publication, comparable to the Fabrizio & Paul series put out in the US. The pictures are especially good quality.

http://www.gramophones.info/gramhmvbookreview.html

US PHONO
Victor II

Re: Book on UK Gramophones

Post by US PHONO »

I agree, a very interesting book, with lots of pictures and excellent reference documentation. Christopher Proudfoot's earlier book "Gramophones & Phonographs" is also a must have, if you can find it - it was published about 20 years ago.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

US PHONO wrote:I agree, a very interesting book, with lots of pictures and excellent reference documentation. Christopher Proudfoot's earlier book "Gramophones & Phonographs" is also a must have, if you can find it - it was published about 20 years ago.
I also have the Proudfoot book and agree it's very good but the new UK Gramophones book is really top notch.

Another top notch, really top notch set of books are the American Fabrizio and Paul books but, of course mainly covering American machines, accessories etcetera.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

All of the above are on my bookshelf, and there is one other "coffee table" volume which I think is worth a mention.

"The Illustrated History of Phonographs" by Daniel Marty ISBN 0-88029-388-8 (Dorset Press, New York 1989) is one of very few books to include French, German and other European makes. It is long out of print and the photographs are not up to modern digital standards, but it is nevertheless a useful reference work.

It runs to 204 pages measuring 255x300mm with 200 illustrations, 65 of which are in colour.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I'd second the vote for the Daniel Marty book. Out of all my reference books it is the ONLY one I refer to on a regular basis, admittedly to see the pictures of great European machines rather than to read the skimpy text and scant information that was available back in the 1970's.

The new HMV book is certainly ok but does unfortunately miss huge areas of the company's activities. If anything it only serves to prove how incredibly dull HMV was with its designs and production output. Give me a decent book on Pathé and Columbia anyday. Oh, what I wouldn't pay for a really comprehensive book on European Pathé. Now that really would be a feast for the eyes!

If you want a good read, personally I don't think you will ever find better than "The EMG Story" by Francis James.

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

I've also got the Marty book. At the time, all these books seem so expensive but I've bought virtually every one that's been offered "Pre Frow" to Edison Phonograph Monthly right up to the US Everlasting Cylinderography and book on UK gramophones. I've never regretted one of those purchase.

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

Steve wrote:Oh, what I wouldn't pay for a really comprehensive book on European Pathé. Now that really would be a feast for the eyes!
I'll second that.

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

VintageTechnologies wrote:
Steve wrote:Oh, what I wouldn't pay for a really comprehensive book on European Pathé. Now that really would be a feast for the eyes!
I'll second that.

I too! I''m not even aware of a mediocre book on European Pathé. All I have is a couple pretty nice catalogue copies.