EMG Gramophone - Beyond All Hope?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Garret
Victor IV

Re: EMG Gramophone - Beyond All Hope?

Post by Garret »

Graham,

Good luck with this new project! I am quite confident of your success.

Garret

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

emgcr wrote:Many thanks one and all for your kind and generous thoughts---much appreciated.

Andy, I agree comparisons are probably not much use objectively via YouTube but, actually in the room, it is hard to describe what the exact degredation of sound on the damaged horn is---certainly a clouding of clarity and definition can be heard. There also seems to be less base.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhbHYjaRzao
FASCINATING, thanks so much for posting this new video Graham! Even listening via the 'tube, there's now some clear difference apparent. To me, the sound from the derelict relic sounds more "pinched" and the sound from the EMGCR horn more fulsome, open and detailed - as one might expect!

Equally, less bass is surely to be expected, due to the final bell diameter being who knows what (much reduced anyway) and the mathematical/acoustic result, a higher cutoff.

Excellent to have these things confirmed to some extent. What an amazing thing, this creature from beyond the grave, and the stories you're enabling it to tell!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Frankia
Victor I

Post by Frankia »

Have just heard the latest interesting upload. While the obvious lesson to be drawn from the long thread on the forum some time back comparing EMGCR and Expert was how wrong an impression one can get from youtube, and I fully agree with Orchorsol's earlier comments here in that vein, at the same time there is a very marked difference between this latest upload and the one with the old horn, with the fibreglass horn streets ahead with regard to depth of sound, general "synthesis" or "roundedness" or "wholeness" of reproduction, and that cutting edge clarity that is so much part of the Oversize listening experience.
The old horn, God bless its cotton socks, sounds lovely until one hears the healthy and vibrant younger sibling.
Listening to the whole thing is so pleasurable though, and the realisation that this oldtimer, down on its luck, will sing again like new is icing on the cake of all of us who love these wonderful old instruments!

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Makes you wonder just how distorted one of these horns would have to be to render it unplayable? When they get bent and malformed it does diminish the sound, but they still sound good.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

A year ago I was asked how a broken off EMG Mk IX horn sounded and so I made a video---again, rather tongue in cheek. It might just be relevant and amusing to repeat it in this thread..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wILO4UU2Dp0
Last edited by emgcr on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

estott wrote:Makes you wonder just how distorted one of these horns would have to be to render it unplayable? When they get bent and malformed it does diminish the sound, but they still sound good.
maybe it has more to do with the machine than it does the horn?

I have a tough time judging sound quality on youTube, most videos sound a bit less-than-perfect to me. :(

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

emgcr wrote:A year ago I was asked how a broken off EMG Mk IX horn sounded and so I made a video---again, rather tongue in cheek. It might just be relevant and amusing to repeat it in this thread..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wILO4UU2Dp0
Amazing how much sound there is even with no horn.

These are interesting machines. Hope to see one in person some day.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Clay, if ever you find yourself in England and have a few spare moments, I should be delighted to demonstrate. Best wishes, Graham.

2Bdecided
Victor I

Post by 2Bdecided »

estott wrote:Makes you wonder just how distorted one of these horns would have to be to render it unplayable? When they get bent and malformed it does diminish the sound, but they still sound good.
I've also heard sagging horns which sound fine. There must come a point where the neck of the horn is too constricted, but a reasonably gentle sag doesn't seem to do much harm - as long as you're happy to sit on the floor or put your chair underneath them!

I think you can hear some unwanted "darkening" of sound from the wrecked horn - the upper midrange has gone. If the record or soundbox was overly "bright" this might be quite a nice effect, but with everything else reasonably balanced this is just wrong. It's quite helpful that you walk around while videoing Graham - hopeless for listening to the record, but perfect for appreciating the sound of the machine.

btw Graham, your video camera appears to have audio AGC (automatic gain control) enabled (maybe there's no option to disable this?) and the microphone sits near overload most of the time. While it's impossible to capture the true sound of a gramophone in a room and reproduce it using a hi-fi, you can get a lot closer with a decent microphone and manually setting the recording level so there's no "pumping" due to the AGC.

Best wishes with this amazing restoration project.

Cheers,
David.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

:)
Attachments
Awesome thread.jpg
Awesome thread.jpg (57.38 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?