A pretty nifty Nifty Narona

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

A pretty nifty Nifty Narona

Post by Valecnik »

I found this in a local antique shop recently in Prague. It runs and seems to play quite well. The asking price is around $600. I'm tempted but really don't know much about these. Any insights?
Attachments
IMG_0528.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: A pretty nifty Nifty Narona

Post by epigramophone »

Nirona was the trade name of Nier & Ehmer of Beierfeld, Saxony, Germany.

They are best known for their small tinplate machines intended for children, but the example you have seen looks large enough for "normal" use.

I cannot say whether the price is reasonable, but miniature gramophones are almost a hobby within a hobby (they take up little space!) and if the prices often achieved on ebay are any guide, they can be highly sought after.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

It seems high to me, but I've seen their tinplate machines fetch from $200 up. This one is a step up in quality, but I'd hesitate too - for that price you probably could but a full size cabinet machine (Yes, I know that Bigger is not always Better)

snallast
Victor II

Post by snallast »

Yes it seems a bit expensive... I sold a very good Nirona on ebay last year(with the original tin-body with very nice litographed drawings on it) for 350 dollars (which was unusually high) - and it had the original Nirona soundbox as well as the key (not crank) to wind it. These little machines hace great sound, and often ended up being used by adults instead of kids!

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I sold a very good Nirona on ebay last year(with the original tin-body with very nice litographed drawings on it) for 350 dollars (which was unusually high) -
Not for Europe it isn't! Very good examples rarely fetch under $500 or 350 Euros