EMG Gramophone - Beyond All Hope?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Garret
Victor IV

EMG Gramophone - Beyond All Hope?

Post by Garret »

Could it be saved?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPERB-E-M-G- ... 1183163130

Just wondering if the motor can easily be located, and if a horn such as this is even salvageable...

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: EMG Gramophone - Beyond All Hope?

Post by OrthoSean »

I'm sure it could be in the right hands. It has the same switch assembly and motorboard cutout that mine has, so this may have had a Garrard "Flyer" motor in it (I think that's what the motor was called?). Apparently this motor was used in many other machines.

Sean

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

I'm not going to lie...I'm very interested in it as a project!

Garret

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Well, if you do, good luck. The horn looks like it's just peeling, unless I missed something, which I could have (Edit: looking again, you really can't tell what's up with that horn by the way the photo is taken). You may want to ask the seller for more details and photos of the horn. The motor, as I said, is a pretty simple electric motor. I had mine rewired by a guy here, he charged me all of $40 and I'll never have to worry about it again. Mine was a little messed up when I got it and I never realized that the sleeve that holds the governor in place was loose. The fiber gear self-destructed as a result after months of use and thanks to the generosity of another collector, I was able to replace it. When I took it all apart, the wiring in the motor disintegrated. I thought I was dead in the water until I found Rick Taylor who redid all the wiring for me.

Sean

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

It seems slightly suspicious that there is only one picture of the horn. Someone is holding it up which indicates trouble...perhaps it was in the shower a bit too long.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

If I was unable to inspect the machine prior to bidding, I would certainly ask for a picture showing the horn from the front, to check that the mouth was still circular.

This is not a project for the fainthearted or the inexperienced, but if the price is right........ :?:

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I think the sellers are being very open and honest about it so a question or two about the horn wouldn't go amiss. I would also get many many more pictures of the horn. After all, I assume the guy who is standing in the picture holding the horn up doesn't come with the machine?!! Garret, I've seen some of your work on here before and you can do this!

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Steve,

Thank you for the kind words. I messaged the seller re: postage and better photos of the horn, and we'll see where this goes...

I've already got two serious projects in the docket at the moment, so we'll see where this goes. This would be a great project, and I'm sure I'd learn more than I could possibly dream about paper restoration, but my time is getting ever shorter, especially as I plan on evening graduate school this fall. That said, if the pictures look good, I may consider it.

Is the motor something that can be easily sourced?

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Garret,

These EMG's came with several different motor alternatives - they are not like Victor or HMV with 'standard' components. Over time different motors were used depending on what was readily available. It is not unusual to find Collaro D30 springs, Garrard electric 201's, electric Collaro's, Paillard GGR 255's, Simpson electric motors amongst them. So, the easy answer to your question is yes, the motor should be relatively easy to source.

Steve

2Bdecided
Victor I

Post by 2Bdecided »

If it weren't for the hands holding the horn up, it would look quite promising. Even so, it may be a great buy and eminently fixable.

Isn't it strange: so many EMGs are found in good condition but with hopelessly sagging horns - yet this one is found in lousy condition, clearly having suffered damp if not rain from the top, yet the horn (possibly) remains the correct shape!

I suspect it will not go for a bargain price if subsequent photos prove that the horn is restorable. Sometimes things seem to cost slightly more than they should because people want to do some work on them and get hooked on the idea. When the restoration will "just" take lots of time, patience, some skill, and a bucket of soggy newspaper, it's worth far more to an amateur with time on their hands than to a professional who will charge by the hour.

I've never felt that I have time on my hands, but it's the domestic suicide of bringing such a thing home that's keeping me away. Maybe if I had a secure lock-up which I could disappear to with piles of old newspapers without raising suspicion? ;)

Cheers,
David.