Need help to ID a HMV external horn gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
casey-eamonn
Victor Jr

Need help to ID a HMV external horn gramophone

Post by casey-eamonn »

Hi
I bought this recently but am not sure what model it is or if its all original or maybe made up of parts off other gramophones.
It certainly seems old and either way I hope to restore it to a good standard.
Any tips on restoration (in particular for the motor board & cabinet itself) would be very much appreciated.
Attachments
Side view 2.JPG
Not sure if veneer is original or not,the board itself seems to be made up of separate pieces
Not sure if veneer is original or not,the board itself seems to be made up of separate pieces
The second decal is from a Shop/Bar in Co Monoghan in Ireland
The second decal is from a Shop/Bar in Co Monoghan in Ireland
Reproducer 1.JPG
The plating seems to be more or less gone, dont know if best to replate in some way or just try to polish the metal itself?
The plating seems to be more or less gone, dont know if best to replate in some way or just try to polish the metal itself?
Motor 2.JPG
Motor 1.JPG
Complete.JPG

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Need help to ID a HMV external horn gramophone

Post by Steve »

That's a completely genuine HMV machine!

With that cabinet it started out in the early teens as a "Model VII", the replacement for the ubiquitous "Senior Monarch" but you have a much later 1920's version with the No. 32 double-spring motor in lieu of the triple-spring and also the "drop-in" elbow / back-bracket. Even the soundbox is correct. HMV re-numbered these over time and I can't remember what your model number is off hand but I think it might be a "24". Anyone got the HMV book to hand to check?

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

You have a typical late Monarch, late teens, early '20's. It is not a crap-o-phone. I would polish the metal parts until you can get them plated. The case looks solid, but you'll have to work on the motor-board. I can't tell from the pictures if it is just broken, or needs a piece made. Also, you'll need to rebuild the reproducer and oil the machine. These machines are great work horses to play your 78's.
Harvey Kravitz

casey-eamonn
Victor Jr

Post by casey-eamonn »

Thats great to hear!!!
I was afraid I d a bit of a mix & match.
The motor board veneer is lifting & the board itself underneath seems to be made up of about 4 pieces so I hoping to strip it completely & try to re glue it.
I ll definitely polish the back bracket as much as possible, if it comes up well I might leave it at that.

Thats for all your help

I ll be back with a progress report in a few months - I Hope