What Model G&T Gramophone is this?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: What Model G&T Gramophone is this?

Post by Steve »

We are only the caretakers for future generations.
I respect your quote under your avatar and agree with the sentiment. Well, future generations will no doubt be pleased to find such a fine specimen carefully cleaned and preserved and ready to play at any time.

You have done a spectacular job with that machine and must be very pleased with it. What a wonderful G & T machine: it looks fantastic and sounds as good too. Well done!

Steve

phonolady
Victor I

Post by phonolady »

Hello Bob,
David & Lerria here in Dallas, yes, we LOVED your machine and seeing the restoration. Can you comment more on the details? Did you clean up the nickel or re-nickel, looks perfect original. Did someone polish the horn or did you polish? What color did you use to have original inside? Once again,
fantastic job!
Look forward to seeing you at UNION.
All the best,
David & Lerria

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Seconding all the congratulations. It is beautiful indeed, and I think you did very well on it with respect to the purchase price as well.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Nice work! Please describe the restoration process a bit.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

And how you got that horn shipped from Europe without damage!

I'm guessing the dimensions of the horn are about the same as this Victor "L" sized horn. If I recall correctly it cost an extra $12 or $15, pictured here dwarfing a Victor D.

The aluminum ones used in Europe seem like a much better idea. Walk in front of this one and bump it and you could easily break the back out of the machine. It's so heavy.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-06-06 at 10.06.40 PM.png

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

Can you comment more on the details? Did you clean up the nickel or re-nickel, looks perfect original. Did someone polish the horn or did you polish? What color did you use to have original inside?
Nice work! Please describe the restoration process a bit.
Regarding the restoration;

The first thing that I did was to remove the motor and all metal fittings from the cabinet, and then re-glue and clamp some of the loose cabinet trim and columns. I then cleaned the interior of the cabinet with acetone to remove all of the grease staining. I cleaned the exterior of the cabinet with Gojo, and due to some sun fading, used a mahogany gel stain over the original finish to even up the colour. Finally I brought back some glow to the finish with a coat of clear paste wax.

The motor was thoroughly cleaned by soaking in mineral spirits, the springs were re-greased, the motor was re-installed with new rubber isolators and then adjusted to run smooth and quietly.

All nickeled parts were first cleaned with Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner and then polished with MAAS metal polish. I rebuilt the reproducer and was able to salvage the original mica and original back flange. The original felt was cleaned with carpet cleaner, and after dry, a few loose spots were re-glued. I also replaced the leather brake pad.

I straightened the horn to the best of my ability, and then had it polished by a local music shop. The original orange paint in the horn was just cleaned with wet wipes and brightened up nicely.

The only parts I had to replace were the governor springs, and the parts I had to find were the two original back mount bolts, and an original crank.

Bob S.