Recent Find: G & T gramophone made for Spain ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
USlakeside
Victor III

Recent Find: G & T gramophone made for Spain ?

Post by USlakeside »

I just acquired this machine and no nothing about it beyond a quick google. Possibly a spanish market G & T machine. The horn and back bracket along with the elbow are repainted. The shape of the horn seems consistent with a few similar models online. I would greatly appreciate any further info on the model. I've seen posts on the forum that pointed me this far. I've found another version on phonogalarie's website.
Attachments
IMG_4384.jpg
IMG_4382.jpg
IMG_4379.jpg
IMG_4375.jpg

USlakeside
Victor III

Re: Recent Find: G & T gramophone made for Spain ?

Post by USlakeside »

Black horn image from phonogalarie, the second antikart
Attachments
phonogalarie2.jpg
phonogalarie2.jpg (108.78 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
phonogalarie1.jpg
phonogalarie1.jpg (153.53 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
phonogalarie3.jpg
phonogalarie3.tiff
phonogalarie1.tiff
phonogalarie1.tiff (286.22 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
IMG_4380.jpg

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

That machine is drop-dead gorgeous!! you are so fortunate to have such a nice machine. I think the HMV/G&T and other foreign Victors have more class than their American cousins, in my opinion. In my area, near Seattle, WA, I see these machines every so often. I snatch them up when I see them. Since, I am so close to the Canadian border, I think these and other European machines come from Canada.
Harvey Kravitz

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

Thanks Harvey.

Could you post an image of anything you have that is similar? It would be very helpful. This is the fanciest phonograph I've found. The woods are beautiful and of high quality. Possibly some spruce below the carving. Which I think may be walnut.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Congratulations on finding a very very rare Spanish G & T machine. Very few of these were produced compared to UK HMV models and certainly only a handful compared to the Victor equivalents.

The pictures from Antikart show the Spanish machine I have in my own collection. This particular example is currently under restoration due to the horn paint flaking off as shown in the photograph. The paint on these horns was a water based "art" paint applied using air brush techniques and without primer. It's hardly surprising that few have survived intact.

You have acquired a wonderful and beautiful machine. These retail between $5000-7500 on the rare occasion they turn up. You asked about model numbers but as far as I'm aware very few collectors own a Spanish catalogue including Phonogalerie which has at least one 1909 catalogue.

I'm at a loss to say what model you have. My machine pictured above is also an unknown to me. Keep hunting and let us know if you find anything. Needless to say if I stumble upon the catalogue at any time I will let you know what you have.

Well done again!

Steve

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Phonofreak wrote:I am so close to the Canadian border, I think these and other European machines come from Canada.
Harvey Kravitz
Harvey, I know you claim you heard this from some antique dealer. However, this statement is so far from being accurate it's comical. In fact, the odds of a European machine being found in the US is greater than Canada . More people have immigrated to the US than Canada.

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

Gramophone78., good to know, can you elaborate on this model? I'm looking for answers about this machine versus the market territory of g&t. Thanks.

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

Thanks everyone. I've seen similar pieces in Paris at Phonogalarie, and never thought I'd find one, especially in the US. I'd like to look into restoring the horn paint. It's not a bad job at all, but if it's so rare maybe it needs a pros touch.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

USlakeside wrote:Gramophone78., good to know, can you elaborate on this model? I'm looking for answers about this machine versus the market territory of g&t. Thanks.
I would contact a collector in Spain. I have posted his website on this forum in the past. He also owns a Spanish made "hot-air" machine (only one I know of). He has a great "high end" collection. I will try to find the email or website again for you. He will reply back to you. I would take very clear pics of your machine along with all the questions you have for him.
Rene also has his contact if you want to check with him.
You can check this forums history of my posts to try and find it. I know it's been years since I wrote about that machine and him.

Best of luck.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

gramophone78 wrote:
Phonofreak wrote:I am so close to the Canadian border, I think these and other European machines come from Canada.
Harvey Kravitz
Harvey, I know you claim you heard this from some antique dealer. However, this statement is so far from being accurate it's comical. In fact, the odds of a European machine being found in the US is greater than Canada . More people have immigrated to the US than Canada.
That's your opinion, and I really don't care. It makes sense to me. I'm sure people immigrated from Canada to the U.S. and bring their machines with them. Regardless, lets stay on topic about the machine,eh?
Harvey Kravitz