Help with value on Dulcephone Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
flashpanblue
Victor III

Help with value on Dulcephone Gramophone

Post by flashpanblue »

Hello,
This machine is for sale close to my home but I don't know much about the brand. Seller says it is a 1915 Dulcephone British Gramophone. I really like the apple green horn. Asking price is $800 Canadian dollars. What do you guys think the market value on this might be. Also any information on the machines would be appreciated.
thanks
Pete
Attachments
$_20[2].jpg
$_20[4].jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Help with value on Dulcephone Gramophone

Post by Steve »

It's impossible to give absolute values to something which is rarely seen, even in the UK. However, that is a very smart and attractive base and the horn is fantastic as you rightly point out. Dulcephones are hardly the top of the list of priorities for most collectors but then again maybe they should be - they are above average quality, unusual and nowhere near as common as HMV or even Columbia horn machines. As you probably already know, Dulcephone was the brand name given exclusively to horn gramophones marketed by Barnett-Samuel & Sons which would later market the all-compact portable, "Decca", trench type gramophone.

Personally, I think this machine is a steal at $800. I doubt I could buy it in the UK for the same price! I would think it is quite a rarity in Canada and would be snapped up quickly at that price in a shop.

Bruce
Victor III

Post by Bruce »

I to can not help with the specific price on this one as I have never seen one for sale.

The cabinet is in great shape and I love the horn. I would expect to pay double the asking if this machine was for sale in Vancouver.

Best of Luck

Bruce

US PHONO
Victor II

Post by US PHONO »

If it is a Dulcephone it should have a brass label on it with Dulcephone and a serial number. Looks like a nice early model in great condition so $800 is OK.