What's this?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: What's this?

Post by gramophone78 »

phonogal wrote:Well, I bought the machine and will pick it up on Tuesday. Just couldn't let it be trashed. I will be looking for the missing reproducer, turntable, elbow and horn. I haven't been able to find another example of a Radium on the internet. Can anyone point me in the right direction so I'll know what I'm looking for? I have a Parlophone so I assume they must be simular. Thanks for any assistance, Jan
You can place a "wanted" ad on our Yankee Trader. However, I can tell you finding what you need will not be a simple task. You may locate some stuff in Europe. However, that too will be $$$$.
Best of luck... ;).

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Most likely, the horn you need will be a one-piece horn with elbow attached... You might be able to improvise for the turntable, if you don't mind mix and match...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

Curt A wrote:Most likely, the horn you need will be a one-piece horn with elbow attached... You might be able to improvise for the turntable, if you don't mind mix and match...
There is a horn with the machine but it looks to be in very poor condition. I'll have to see what all is there once I pick up the machine.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Let us know when you get it. Maybe the forum members can give you tips to restore the horn.
Harvey Kravitz

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

While it may be difficult to find parts, you also have the benefit of nobody, (so far), knowing what the "correct" pieces should look like. That gives you some leeway. As long as the parts you use are period correct and not easily attributable to other machines, you've pretty much got it solved.

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

Ok. Here are pictures of the horn. I always tell myself after I do this " I will not buy another phonograph sight unseen off the internet" but even I know, I'll probably do it again. I'm always hopeful :lol: The horn is not very good quality as it is really thin and bends easily. Is this typical of these "Swissies"?
Attachments
phono horn 115.JPG
phono horn 115.JPG (19.94 KiB) Viewed 1680 times
phono horn 117.JPG
phono horn 117.JPG (22.41 KiB) Viewed 1680 times

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Jan, The horn actually looks pretty good except for the rust and funky paint job. The fitting looks to be in good shape, too. Usually the horn fitting is clobbered because of the thin metal. Yes, these inexpensive European machines had horns of very thin metal. I would strip the paint off of the horn and sand off the rust. Look in Eric Reiss's book and there is a whole discussion of horn restoration. Your machine has a lot of potential and will look nice when it is restored.
Harvey Kravitz

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

phonogal wrote:Ok. Here are pictures of the horn. I always tell myself after I do this " I will not buy another phonograph sight unseen off the internet" but even I know, I'll probably do it again. I'm always hopeful :lol: The horn is not very good quality as it is really thin and bends easily. Is this typical of these "Swissies"?
As far as Euro horns go "honestly".....it not a great example. The elbow for your machine looks like this and has a lock pin on the inside. These machine's did not have a one piece horn/elbow set up.
100_4267.JPG
100_4269.JPG
The horn appears to be Swiss made. However, used on a very low end model. All brass or embossed (see pic) would be for a high end model.
These elbows were used on "later" made Swiss/German machine's.
European Swiss-German Horn-Elbow (3).JPG

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

Ok. Well at least I know what elbow to look for. Harvey, I have the Reiss book and will get it out. I've found a couple of horns on the net that look similar in design. They all appear to be really brightly colored. I think pretty much anything I do to it will be an improvement. I'll post some pictures when I get it painted. What type of reproducer should I be looking for?

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

phonogal wrote:Ok. Well at least I know what elbow to look for. Harvey, I have the Reiss book and will get it out. I've found a couple of horns on the net that look similar in design. They all appear to be really brightly colored. I think pretty much anything I do to it will be an improvement. I'll post some pictures when I get it painted. What type of reproducer should I be looking for?
Jan, If I can just add.....these elbows are not easy to find. I was hoping to hear you say....."I have it". I would recommend keeping an eye on Ebay France,UK,Germany & Switzerland. I personally have only ever had one. I have not seen a loose one for sale. However, as I always say.....you never know.
As to painting the horn. Yes, Euro horns can be painted in nice colors (see pic). If you can get your hands on a brass horn....even better.
If this were my machine.......I would look for a clean horn/elbow. Your cost may be better by buying this way.
Funny, I tried to buy another elbow like you need along with two early elbows and brackets. However, the owner was not willing to sell.... :cry:.
The attachment !BcS6lfwCGk~$(KGrHqUH-CUEqvgeUTkVBKz3r-pyvw~~_12.jpg is no longer available
Maestrophone  Horn #3.JPG
Mexico Parts 2011 (8).JPG