''Gramophone Junior Grand'' gramophone questions

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Timo Gramophone
Victor O

''Gramophone Junior Grand'' gramophone questions

Post by Timo Gramophone »

Hello to you all,

I was looking on ''Marktplaats'' a Dutch trading site recently, when i came across this advertisement about the Gramophone Junior Grand from 1909.

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/antiek-en-k ... e-hmv.html

I wonder, how old is this machine?
What is it worth, is it worth the 550 euros?
Is it Original, and in good condition (correct reproducer, soundbox?)?

Thanks in advance, Timo

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: ''Gramophone Junior Grand'' gramophone questions

Post by CarlosV »

The photos are poor but what is visible looks genuine. The period is also correct, 1907-09. The soundbox should be an exhibition, and the photo seems to show one. The motor is not shown, which is a concern, neither are all the sides of the body shown - sometimes the sides which are not pictured have defects. This one should have a door on its back side. I could not see the brake, which should be a bullet-type. As to price, it is too high in my estimation, but if the machine is in excellent shape it may be worth for fans of such make. Do not expect much of its sound: it has a very rudimentary wood horn, made with four sheets. I have the large version of more or less the same machine, the Sheraton Grand, which was the first cabinet machine made by the Gramophone company, and looks nicer than this one (but it is significantly bulkier as well). The Sheraton Grand has a triple spring motor and a balanced turntable - I think this one should be identical.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I would agree with everything that Carlos has already said but would add one very important caveat: the example pictured has had its legs lopped off! The legs should be about 4" (10cm) taller with fitted brass castors as standard. This machine is not worth the money. For 500 Euros you should be able to secure a perfect example of one of these with the same acoustic system and motor as the much more expensive Sheraton model that Carlos owns. Expect to pay double the money for one of those or possibly three times as much for a Chippendale Gramophone Grand.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

I see what you mean, Steve, I found the photo of one that Howard Hope advertised sometime ago with short legs with what seem like castors, see below:

There was another one with long legs posted elsewhere in this forum (also advertised by Howard Hope):

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Yes, indeed. I have the same machine as in the top picture of your two above: a mahogany Junior Grand or originally a "Boudoir Grand" ! I purchased my example from Howard Hope in 1997 for £475. It is in near perfect condition with legs and castors. Sometimes legs can be over-rated but in this instance I feel they are very important to the aesthetics of the machine! :lol: It is a 'typical' G & T product and just pre-dates the example shown above by virtue of not having the dog trademark, just an ivorine plaque in the back of the machine with patent numbers on it. It is a 1909 example.