Columbia 202 automatic brake - Help !

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
canyr
Victor Jr

Columbia 202 automatic brake - Help !

Post by canyr »

Hi all. I acquired a columbia 202 which is working great. But the automatic brake, that worked fine yesterday, now won't be able to stop the motor at the end of a record, I have to use my hand to stop the record.
Can anyone help me with this please ?

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Columbia 202 automatic brake - Help !

Post by Phono48 »

There are two versions of the 202, one with a Garrard motor, and one with an EMI, (made after the EMI/Columbia merger)Take the turntable off (first remove the clip round the centre spindle). Is there are a black collar attached to the centre spindle? If so, this is the Garrard motored version, and the most likely) This collar often works loose, and although the brake is working correctly, the collar doesn't grip the spindle tightly enough to stop the motor. Wind the motor with the turntable off, and move the arm over towards the centre. You will see that a lever attached to the brake will make contact with the collar, and should stop it revolving with the centre spindle. If the spindle still turns when the collar is stopped, then pull the collar off, remove the metal ring set into it,gently close the gap in it with a pair of pliers, and replace it. If, however this is not the case, then come back, as the other faults will take longer to explain!

Barry

canyr
Victor Jr

Post by canyr »

Thank you very much Barry. What you are describing is exactly what seems to happen on my gramophone. I'll be able to try what you're suggesting tonight and I'll tell you if it works as soon as I can.
Raynald

canyr
Victor Jr

Post by canyr »

It's working again, as simple as you told !!

Thanks a lot Barry.