First Play In Decades

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
gramophone78
Victor VI

First Play In Decades

Post by gramophone78 »

Since the Granddaughter of the owner told me the last time this machine played was when "he" was a little boy. Now 89...I guess it's been awhile. Due to this and other initial safety concerns, I decided to play her outside. At least until I become used to her ways.
Surprisingly, the engine just fired right up where it last left off. Not even a hick-up.

Of course running a machine like this outside is not an optimal situation. A gust of wind caused the engine to slow down. However, once the flame was back on target.....she when right on playing.

I am truly amazed at how sturdy the engine is. It is always exciting to see a machine come back to life after many decades of silence.
http://youtu.be/2UQl7Kboxz4
http://youtu.be/_rr8TbfH89c
Paillard #205 Today (1).JPG
Last edited by gramophone78 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: First Play In Decades

Post by Curt A »

The reason that there are not many of these machines in existence is because they burned up in the house fires they started... :)
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Curt A wrote:The reason that there are not many of these machines in existence is because they burned up in the house fires they started... :)
:lol:

While daddy was out, the children wondered if it popped corn too! :)

The forum members are having a string of good luck, (not a string of popcorn).

James.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Curt A wrote:The reason that there are not many of these machines in existence is because they burned up in the house fires they started... :)
Yes, there is no question regarding the incendiary properties with these machines. However, I think burning houses down may be more a urban legend running wild... :lol: :lol:.

In fact, based on existing serial numbers and period Paillard catalogs....we can reasonably conclude few machines were made and certainly custom ordered by a discerning customer.

Certainly not by a weak hearted individual.

RAK402
Victor II

Post by RAK402 »

That is fantastic!

I had no idea such a thing existed!

Probably worth a fortune?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Paillard's advertisements claimed that these machines were both noiseless and fireproof, but only the former claim was consistent with the experience of some owners.

Fireproof or not, one of these would be right at the top of my dream machine list, and to own two...... :mrgreen:

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

I was trying to think of the most appropriate record to play on such a machine. A couple titles popped into mind but were disqualified for various reasons:

1) "Fire!" on Edison diamond disk. Technically incompatible, I am afraid.

2) "The Old Fiery Cross" on the KKK label. Being an American label and European machine, that title probably isn't appropriate either.

Suggestions?

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

What about Fletcher Henderson's "Hot mustard" ? I shouldn't let a little thing like being American of the wrong period cause any problem ! Let's have fun.......

Slightly nearer the mark could be John McCormack singing "Keep the Home Fires Burning".........if not thought too irreverent ?

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Trawling through my collection list, here are some particularly apt ones!

De Falla's Ritual Fire Dance

Louis Armstrong & his Hot 7 - Fireworks

(Any number of versions) - I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire

Mound City Blue Blowers - Fire House Blues

Harry Reser's Syncopators - Fire! (Sadly resonant since Tom Stacks lost his life due to a fire)

The Washboard Rhythm Kings - Fire

(Anything by) The Seven Hot Air Men
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Edisone
Victor IV

Post by Edisone »

Apologies to Nat M.Wills: "No News, or What Broke the Gramophone"

No sir, no sir - nuthin' happened while you was away.... well, exeptin' the gramophone - it broke............