Garrard Super Motor. Reinventing the wheel............

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: Garrard Super Motor. Reinventing the wheel............

Post by Orchorsol »

If only we'd thought, I could have given you a Garrard winding handle when you visited here! I think I have several of varying lengths - if needed, you're welcome to one free when you know what you want.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

I’ll send you an email! Thanks!

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

anchorman wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:43 pm I'm also looking for information on the threads used throughout. HMV in the UK apparently used the standard threads from the USA on many if not all motors and parts. Are the fasteners on these motors british standard or something else?

The winding crank threads are also eluding me at the moment. My motor came without a crank, so all I've got is the internal threads to go by. They're close to ⅜" threads, but the pitch is not UNC ⅜-16. The minor diameter of the female threads is about .335", which is compatible with any number of ⅜" male threads. Did the British make their winding handles with whit worth standard 55° thread form? Or are they the American standard 60°?
The threads I have come across on Garrard motors are British. The windling handle is ⅜" BSF---20 tpi.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

anchorman wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:44 pm
emgcr wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:41 am Here is a schematic drawing of the Super Motor.

Click on image to enlarge.
Any chance we could get you to post this schematic again? I'm hoping it might give a little bit of insight into the order of installation, and number of felt washers that are required on top of the spring barrel. And it would, of course, just be interesting to see, regardless.
Here you are Jon---hope this is what you wanted but I know of no drawing showing full details such as washers etc I am afraid.
Attachments
007.JPG
006.JPG
005.JPG
004.JPG
003.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

Thanks graham!

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

Did the end bells ever have gaskets of some sort on them? I can’t see how these would be expected to seal properly, though the way the main casting is formed, perhaps when the machine is perfectly level, all the oil flows back to the sump. There’s a small lip on the lower right side closer to the sump, which ought to catch the oil.

The top plate could not have a gasket and keep shaft end play where it ought to be, though due to the helical gears, the all important main shaft on which the turntable/platter is placed pulls down when in motion. Oil leaking from the top plate ought not to be any more of a problem than oil leaking from the hole through which the oil pipe exits the casting. The motor is not intended to be played upside down anyway. :)

I’m going to make some cork or paper gaskets for the end bells, and if anyone feels the need to have gaskets, I can send you the files I will use to cut them on a laser cutter.
Attachments
E2582045-F047-4B91-A69A-908A579603C4.jpeg
5C9E79A2-6E2F-4F92-8B1D-09DFB20238AF.jpeg

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

Test cut worked pretty well. Just enough slop in the holes so that if someone else’s motor has slightly different hole spacing, that they should still work. I’ve also got the other side cover, and will be making one for the oil pump.

If anyone wants gaskets, I can send a CAD file and you can use to have them laser cut from the material of your choice. Probably could cut a set and send them for the cost of postage and materials
4130005F-5D81-41FC-BF8B-C3B053A7B748.jpeg

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

Adding to our info on these fine motors, I can confirm that many other Garrard platters/turntables will fit these motors, including the diminutive 8" one from the Columbia 100 portable, that comes fitted with a Garrard 20 motor. The motor from my Columbia (JP) 214 has the same spindle taper also. I imagine my 112A does too, along with all other pre-merger machines from Columbia.

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

I’m getting back to putting my garrard super in order, and wanted to share a picture of the gasket I made for the bottom of the oil pump:
4AC263F4-7F2E-44F6-8542-D67F037CEF87.jpeg
Due to the great kindness of three of our fellow forum members, I now have in my possession a 12” platter, a winding crank, and a new rubber oil pump plunger gasket.

I made the gasket for the bottom of the oil pump using 0.5mm Kraft paper (known here in the states as “chip board”) laser cut and dipped in shellac to make it oil tight. I can’t see how the original metal on metal seal would have kept oil from leaking out, so thought a thin gasket here was in order. I didn’t have any proper gasket paper on hand, so this will be the next best thing. I’ve also done end bell gaskets, and need to dip those in shellac before I assemble everything after I get the new springs in.

If anyone is in need of paper gaskets for one of these, I’d be happy to provide them for the price of postage. I have a somewhat endless supply of this thick Kraft paper. Other possible materials are buna-n rubber, rubber cork gasket, and automotive type fiber gasket material. I may try thin rubber-cork material if I can find any. Too thick on the oil pump base gasket, and it would throw off the placement of the upper oil tube on the motors with the external oil tube.