Garrard Super Motor. Reinventing the wheel............

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Hertog
Victor Jr

Re: Garrard Super Motor. Reinventing the wheel............

Post by Hertog »

emgcr wrote: What oil ?

In the past, and being unable until recently to find contemporary specifications, I have used 20/50 motor car oil which, although excellent for prohibiting mechanical wear, has proved too heavy for the delicate mechanism of a gramophone motor and, in particular, the governor. One of the problems encountered has been a variation or wobble of pitch and it is fortunate that, whilst browsing the ‘net, I was lucky enough to come across the following link---see page 7 :

http://www.radio-workshop.co.uk/service ... ble%20.pdf

The use of sewing machine oil has transformed the performance and reliability of the Super Motor.

What oil quantity ?

Finding the original recommended amount has, so far, proved impossible. We do have a picture of the bottle containing the correct amount but, not having the scale, it is rather meaningless—see photos. Some years ago I made a guess at 100 ml but have now learned that this is too much in view of the fact that, with so much liquid floating around the system, the grease in the spring barrels is eventually leached out to form a combined glutenous heavy sticky fluid which tends to gum-up the mechanism and can exacerbate pitch flutter. I am now experimenting with just 30 ml which, to date, seems to work well.
Heya, do you maybe have instructions on how to know if the motor needs a refill and if so, how to do that exactly? I understand that I need sewing machine oil, at a 30ml quantity, íf my machine needs it? :)

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Hello Hertog and welcome to the forum.

I have just listened to the two video clips you posted and think that the motor sounds fine from the point of view of stable pitch which is a good sign. It is harder for me to tell via YouTube if the springs are "bumping" through lack of grease but, if you ever come across this fault it will be very obvious to your ears. In that event, what would actually be happening is that the lack of grease would cause the springs to "bind" (stick together) temporarily at indeterminate points during the playing of a record---you would hear a "bump" as a spring becomes unstuck and lets go. No damge would be done but, at such a time, it would be necessary to remove the cover plates and service the motor.

If this is not happening, I would say leave well alone for the moment as there will probably be sufficient oil inside the casing and adequate grease inside the spring barrels. You could, perhaps, add a little sewing machine oil at the top, having first pushed the cover-plate to one side, but do not over-oil as to do so risks the danger of leeching out the grease in the spring barrels. You should be able to hear the pump forcing the oil from the sump when you wind. A syringe is the easiest way of introducing the oil into the small hole. However, in general, if it ain't broke, don't fix it !

If there should come a time when the motor needs to be serviced please ask again and we can offer more tips.

Hertog
Victor Jr

Post by Hertog »

Hello :)

No, she has no 'bumping' sounds while playing. Everything sounds smooth, luckily ^^ So, nothing broken, it seems :) That is good news! I wasn't all too worried, but since I have no clue when the last time was that she was looked after, I felt a bit hesitant to keep playing without making sure that everything was alright :D

[Edit:] is there maybe a part of the forum where I can properly introduce?

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Hertog wrote: Is there maybe a part of the forum where I can properly introduce?
I don't think there is but all your posts will be seen by fellow enthusiasts interested in your thoughts. We are a friendly bunch ! Always willing to help.

Incidentally, I have just noticed you refer to 30ml as being the correct oil quantity. Please read the comments again and you will see that we now think something nearer to 9ml (perhaps a little more) is the correct volume.

Hertog
Victor Jr

Post by Hertog »

Good point, I think I missed that somewhere. I will admitt I skipped through this thread, because there was so much information that wasn't directly related to my question :D

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

Welcome to the TMF!! I am delighted that you have one of these superb motors. What gramophone (or gramophones) do you have?

Cheers from the USA,

Will
Hertog wrote:Hello :)

No, she has no 'bumping' sounds while playing. Everything sounds smooth, luckily ^^ So, nothing broken, it seems :) That is good news! I wasn't all too worried, but since I have no clue when the last time was that she was looked after, I felt a bit hesitant to keep playing without making sure that everything was alright :D

[Edit:] is there maybe a part of the forum where I can properly introduce?

Hertog
Victor Jr

Post by Hertog »

Just Mary (at the moment :lol: ) I would love to own a music box (disk box?) like the Polyphon-type they have at the Museum Speelklok:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyXY4Bz3PLs

That type of machine initially sparked my true love for mechanical instruments, when I stumbled across one during a photoshoot. A few months later, we (me and my ex) found a machine similar to Mary at a fleamarket, but didn't have the option to buy it or bring it home. A franctic search online at a secondhand website here in the Netherlands (Marktplaats) yieled Mary as a result. She was as good as being tossed out of a family home-clear out, after the owner died and the family had no idea how it even worked.

Sadly, I moved a whole lot after I acquired her, and she's been in quite a few homes and twice in external storage (both times for almost a year each :( ). Luckily, she now is truly with me again :D

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

Those Polyphon machines are stunning. There are also smaller, flat machines with a similar sound, made by the Polyphon's sister company, Regina, here in the US. I hope you find one!
Hertog wrote:Just Mary (at the moment :lol: ) I would love to own a music box (disk box?) like the Polyphon-type they have at the Museum Speelklok:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyXY4Bz3PLs

That type of machine initially sparked my true love for mechanical instruments, when I stumbled across one during a photoshoot. A few months later, we (me and my ex) found a machine similar to Mary at a fleamarket, but didn't have the option to buy it or bring it home. A franctic search online at a secondhand website here in the Netherlands (Marktplaats) yieled Mary as a result. She was as good as being tossed out of a family home-clear out, after the owner died and the family had no idea how it even worked.

Sadly, I moved a whole lot after I acquired her, and she's been in quite a few homes and twice in external storage (both times for almost a year each :( ). Luckily, she now is truly with me again :D

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

I recently bought a Garrard oil bottle on eBay (thanks again Epigramophone) which is the first such item I have ever seen. I had hoped that it could supply the correct volume for the Super Motor lubrication. However, it appears to be somewhat larger than the one pictured earlier in this thread so we still are looking for definite proof/measurements etc.

The capacity of the bottle pictured in this post is 60ml with each triangular flank measuring 40mm and height 100mm to half way up the spout.
Attachments
Garrard oil bottle (1).JPG
Garrard oil bottle (2).JPG

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

For ease of reference, this is the bottle we are looking for.
Attachments
Garrard oil bottle..PNG