Seymour reproducer and recorder

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Gramtastic
Victor III

Seymour reproducer and recorder

Post by Gramtastic »

Hi, came across this advert for a "seymour" phonograph reproducer and recorder. I assume this was the same Seymour associated with EMG etc ? Has anyone ever seen one of these ? I had never heard of then until I saw this ...
Attachments
IMG_0167.JPG

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Re: Seymour reproducer and recorder

Post by edisonphonoworks »

Yes, if you email Jerry Fabris he can send you a link to a book called the " The Reproduction Of Sound" by Henry Seymour. Henry Seymour (1861–1938) was a British secularist, individualist anarchist, gramophone innovator and survey author, and Baconian. He published the first English language anarchist periodical in Britain and is credited, in 1913, with introducing the Edison disc Phonograph into the country.
Biography

Seymour was born in Hayes, Kent in 1861.

Seymour first came to prominence in 1882, while living in Tunbridge Wells, Kent. Seymour was appointed the secretary of the Tunbridge Wells Secular Society and he was convicted in the summer of 1882 of blasphemy. The events leading to his prosecution involved the publication of a placard advertising a meeting of the society.

In 1885 Seymour published the first English-language individualist anarchist periodical in Britain, The Anarchist. He began work on the first issue while still living in Tunbridge Wells, although it was not published until he completed his move to Islington, London.

The paper was produced from 1885–1888 and was briefly co-edited by Peter Kropotkin and Charlotte Wilson, both of whom went on to form Freedom following disagreements between the three.

As well as producing The Anarchist, Seymour published a wide range of pamphlets and tracts, and he printed handbills for other groups, including the Tunbridge Wells branch of the SDF. The SDF pamphlet was published by the "International Publishing Company", owned by Seymour.

Seymour is important in the history of British anarchism, particularly individualist anarchism a branch of anarchism which has dwindled in influence in Britain since the early 20th century. Seymour published a wide range of works on anarchist subjects. He was involved in the late 19th century radical community in London and it seems likely that Seymour printed material for many individuals and groups.

Seymour was involved in many groups and causes during the latter 1900s. He was a founding member of Free Currency Propaganda and produced a pamphlet called The Monomaniacs – A fable in finance.

Seymour took over editorship of The Adult following the arrest of George Bedborough, the previous editor.

In the early 20th century Seymour became involved in the nascent gramophone industry. He introduced Edison's Diamond Disc phonograph to Britain in 1913, and wrote about it in Sound Wave magazine. He wrote The Reproduction of Sound in 1917, described as "acknowledged as the standard work on the subject" in the industry at the time. He produced a gramophone called the Superphone and was responsible for many innovations in gramophone technology. He was key in the development of EMG Gramophones and produced parts for the early production models.

Seymour died on February 3, 1938.
Attachments
A page about the recorder in your advertisement.
A page about the recorder in your advertisement.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Henry Seymour , one of the founding fathers of the British phonograph & gramophone world has not quite been erased from history, but was "shunned"by the big companies for his anarchic behaviour. Creating forgeries of copyrighted recordings. At the time it must have seemed ungentlemanly and poor Henry must have had his hands smacked, or at least tied up against having anything to do with phonographs and gramophones. He then seems have passed the mantle to EMG and the rest is history.
He has been credited with creating quite a sophisticated cylinder copying machine and of all things a "Seymour Death Ray machine".

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV

I am including more Seymour items. I have been reading the "Reproduction Of Sound", it is very well written book on acoustical record making from 1918. In it's pages are drawings of blank molds; reaming machines, building of Gramophone and Phonograph recording machines; both vertical, and lateral kinds. A variety of formulations for master cylinders, and master discs, electroplating masters, molding cylinders, in both celluloid and metallic soap are also explained, as well as very good formulations and electrical connections, and holders for the making of the master, electrotype. Drawings and photos of record pressing from which shellac 78s are made. From the last posting it seems he was viewed by the phonograph industry then, as I am viewed by the established sound historians today.
Attachments
Working side of lateral recorder that looks vertical.
Working side of lateral recorder that looks vertical.
Top view of lateral recorder that looks vertical, that I explained was a lateral recorder however nobody believed me.
Top view of lateral recorder that looks vertical, that I explained was a lateral recorder however nobody believed me.
This photo uncovers a mystery of a post a few years back when an unusual recorder came up on ebay, It is a British lateral cut recorder, where the sound comes in on the vertical plane and then converted by linkage to a lateral plane.
This photo uncovers a mystery of a post a few years back when an unusual recorder came up on ebay, It is a British lateral cut recorder, where the sound comes in on the vertical plane and then converted by linkage to a lateral plane.
More about the reproducer.
More about the reproducer.
About the cylinder reproducer in the advertisement or one similar.
About the cylinder reproducer in the advertisement or one similar.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Wow, Thanks for posting the pictures. Never seen one of these before.
Here is one from the archives.
Attachments
Seymour Diaphragm2.jpg
Seymour Diaphragm2.jpg (57.3 KiB) Viewed 3745 times

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV

What machine would the arrangement for the reproducer, in the photograph go to? A Gem or Standard? How is the articulated part of the carriage constructed, is the center part that the reproducer bobs up and down a solid machined piece with a air tight brass barrel? Seymour admonished a very hearty connection from the barrel to the horn tube, honed with diamond paste.

chunnybh
Victor III

Post by chunnybh »

Sorry don't know anything about this Seymour arm. I only have the image.

phonohound
Victor II

Post by phonohound »

I own the Seymour attachment as shown by Chunnybh. It is in original, unrestored condition and is fits an Edison Gem. Here is the top side.

Scott
Attachments
Seymour Diaphragm.jpg

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV

Even un restored, how does it sound? Very nice instrument!! Thank you for sharing.

phonohound
Victor II

Post by phonohound »

It doesn't sound good because the original diaphragm is made of celluloid and it is now as hard as a rock. I didn't want to restore it is "only original once" and I don't know what modern material looks and acts like celluoid. Does anything think this reproducer can be restored using a plastic/celluoid disaphragm?

Thanks.