HMV early radiograms

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: HMV early radiograms

Post by gramophoneshane »

Somewhere I have a copy of a newspaper article printed here in Australia (I think from 1929?) that claims the first ever HMV radio-gram is the RE-45

I have an empty cabinet of this model, which is actually a Victor model from 1928. It's identical to the American model, except it has the HMV Hayes Middlesex transfer under the lid.
I haven't seen a complete machine yet, so I don't know it the Victor script used on the radio dial was changed to HMV or The Gramophone Co.

If I can find the newspaper article I'll reproduce it here.

condenser
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Gramophone collector

Post by condenser »

Thanks! Would be most interested to see it. Overseas versions seemed to have different model numbering, but I don't know if they were different inside. I somehow doubt that HMV Australia designed their own machines, but they might have done so.

teibet
Victor Jr

Post by teibet »

Vinrage_mania wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:52 pm Are there any 551 or 600 machines in collections .....funny the amp has a family resemblence to the US AP series “tomcat” amps as pictured on radiomuseun.org
I own a Model 600, I am not a collector, it just sits in my basement. I live in Italy. Old photos have been published by radiomuseum, I am happy if I could help.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rca_concert_600.html

I am selling the unit to whom could be interested,

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

gramophoneshane wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:01 pm Somewhere I have a copy of a newspaper article printed here in Australia (I think from 1929?) that claims the first ever HMV radio-gram is the RE-45

I have an empty cabinet of this model, which is actually a Victor model from 1928. It's identical to the American model, except it has the HMV Hayes Middlesex transfer under the lid.
I haven't seen a complete machine yet, so I don't know it the Victor script used on the radio dial was changed to HMV or The Gramophone Co.

Do you need RE-45 parts? I have the owner's manual, reproducer, motor, motor board, loudspeaker, amplifier, all vacuum tubes, umbilical, speaker grill with tapestry, door pulls, turntable, pretty much all the stuff except the RE-45 cabinet. Radio & amp worked when I broke it down; I scrapped it because I couldn't arrange to move the machine and still sleep. The parts are out in my old car along with two dead "The Fox" typewriters I have higher hopes for. I know Australia is a long ways from the United States but without parts your machine is a long ways from getting fixed--and I'd like to clean the car out.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:25 pm
gramophoneshane wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:01 pm Somewhere I have a copy of a newspaper article printed here in Australia (I think from 1929?) that claims the first ever HMV radio-gram is the RE-45

Do you need RE-45 parts? I have the owner's manual, reproducer, motor, motor board, loudspeaker, amplifier, all vacuum tubes, umbilical, speaker grill with tapestry, door pulls, turntable, pretty much all the stuff except the RE-45 cabinet. Radio & amp worked when I broke it down; I scrapped it because I couldn't arrange to move the machine and still sleep. The parts are out in my old car along with two dead "The Fox" typewriters I have higher hopes for. I know Australia is a long ways from the United States but without parts your machine is a long ways from getting fixed--and I'd like to clean the car out.
Shane has sadly long since left this forum, never to return, but luckily I still have his email address so will PM it to you if you'd like to make direct contact to substantiate your offer to him?

condenser
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Gramophone collector

Post by condenser »

Thanks to teibet, I might have been interested in the Model 600, but I'm in Canada and you are in Italy!

Regards