HMV number 21 soundbox

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

HMV number 21 soundbox

Post by poodling around »

I wonder if anyone has an opinion about this soundbox in terms of how good it is ?

Also, does it have a different size tone-arm fitting to that of the No 4 and 5a soundboxes ?

Thanks for any help you can give.

(I couldn't find any previous threads about this soundbox incidentally).

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: HMV number 21 soundbox

Post by gramophoneshane »

I think they were a cheap soundbox for cheap machines.
They used pot metal in their construction, and one of mine has swollen enough to crack the chrome plated mask/front where it forms the narrow edge of the body.
Mine both sound fairly good in my opinion, but not as good as a 5a/b.
If I remember correctly they fit the same size tonearm as a No.4.

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

You have a picture of it?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The HMV No.21 is a rebadged Columbia No.15, an excellent soundbox. The cheap HMV soundbox is the No.23.
Attachments
21f.jpg
21f.jpg (31.1 KiB) Viewed 498 times
21r.jpg
21r.jpg (37.26 KiB) Viewed 498 times

poodling around
Victor V

anchorman wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:47 am You have a picture of it?
Hi anchorman,

Yes, photographs 'below'.

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:43 am The HMV No.21 is a rebadged Columbia No.15, an excellent soundbox. The cheap HMV soundbox is the No.23.
Thank you as always epigramophone.

I had the feeling that it may be a good soundbox as it is heavy and seems well constucted.

Two things puzzle me though. Firstly, the one I have has a different inscription on the reverse side - it only has the patent number and not the HMV model number. (I can't find the patent on-line either). Maybe this is an early one ?

The second thing is it is slightly too small to fit an HMV 101 tone-arm - which leads me to wonder if the fitting size is unique ?
Attachments
hmv.jpg
hmv1.jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

poodling around wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:33 am

The second thing is it is slightly too small to fit an HMV 101 tone-arm - which leads me to wonder if the fitting size is unique ?
This excellent soundbox was fitted to the HMV 97, which has a smaller bore arm.

Barry

poodling around
Victor V

Phono48 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:46 am
poodling around wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:33 am

This excellent soundbox was fitted to the HMV 97, which has a smaller bore arm.

Barry
Aha. Fantastic !

Shame that I can't use this then unless I can make an adapter. (Or buy an HMV 97 - no room for that though tbh).

Thank you very much indeed Phono48.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

poodling around wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:33 am Two things puzzle me though. Firstly, the one I have has a different inscription on the reverse side - it only has the patent number and not the HMV model number. (I can't find the patent on-line either). Maybe this is an early one ?
I have two HMV 97s, a green and a black. The green ones' 21 soundbox has simply "Made in England" on the back, and the black ones' has nothing at all, completely plain. As the 21s were also used on the Columbia 204 (numbered 15A) could it have been more logical to remove all markings on the backs so that they could be used for both machines? It would seem logical, as some of the 204s I have also have also have plain backs to the soundboxes. If so, then that would indicate that the one pictured by emigramophone (above) is an early version, and yours and mine are later.

Barry
Last edited by Phono48 on Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

poodling around
Victor V

Phono48 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:39 am
poodling around wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:33 am Two things puzzle me though. Firstly, the one I have has a different inscription on the reverse side - it only has the patent number and not the HMV model number. (I can't find the patent on-line either). Maybe this is an early one ?
I have two HMV 97s, a green and a black. The green ones' 21 soundbox has simply "Made in England" on the back, and the black ones' has nothing at all, completely plain. As the 21s were also used on the Columbia 204s could it have been more logical to remove all markings on the backs so that they could be used for both machines? It would seem logical, as some of the 204s I have also have also have plain backs to the soundboxes. If so, then that would indicate that the one pictured by emigramophone (above) is an early version, and yours and mine are later.

Barry
Maybe. But the HMV one has the dog and the columbia one the musical note. So, inter-changing would not have bothered them ?