An EMG,not quite what it seemed.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: An EMG,not quite what it seemed.

Post by Orchorsol »

Heartiest congratulations Graham! As mentioned privately, this is an absolute triumph, and aesthetically speaking surpasses even the perfection of your previous restorations/recreations. I love the exquisite veneering, and the pale green colour, set off so well by the gold of the exposed section of casting. Simply drop-dead gorgeous!

Yes, spring motors. By sheer happenstance nearly all of my modest collection of EMGs and Experts have electrical motors - not that I'm particularly bothered (especially since a range of motor options, including electrical, was always available for customers when new) - but spring motors are just so quintessential, and as you say, give the option of our favourite entertainment come power cut or apocalypse!

For anyone who hasn't read the entire story of this Herculean effort, resulting in genuinely better-than-new EMGs, here it is: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15076 - be sure to open the PDF file attached t o the first post, which gives the whole detailed narrative.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

You are very kind Andy, thank you so much. It is all such fun and, of course, the quality of sound is so dependent upon your absolutely wonderful thorn needles. Please don't stop feeding a hungry world ! We should all be lost without them.

Your comment "Our favourite entertainment come power cut or apocalypse!" will go down forever in the history of gramophones. Fabulous !

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Graham, you do marvels! It looks gorgeous! And it sounds magnificent... Although the real thing must be much more stunning in the flesh!
Inigo

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Thank you very much Inigo. YouTube does a pretty good job these days but cannot reproduce "holographic sound" through loudspeakers in my opinion. Listening directly in front of an EMG horn is pure magic.

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

What a transformation Graham! I hadn't realised the history of the base and the condition it was in before. So SO glad that has made it to your hands, it's the stuff of nightmares to think this could have very easily gone in a skip at some point :o :shock:

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Yes indeed, I think many that were not converted in the fifties may well have met that fate as technology "advanced". I suppose the horns were the weakest part, especially if they were subjected to a damp atmosphere. Paper does not like to get wet............