An EMG,not quite what it seemed.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: An EMG,not quite what it seemed.

Post by marcapra »

I wish there were more or any EMG phonos in the U.S. I'd love to have one! Marc.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

There are a few and we can probably find you what you want but the shipping can be expensive---especially to the west coast I am afraid.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Well, Strobedisc kindly agreed to sell the empty wooden case to me and here, some two and a half years later, is the situation following a full restoration and return to original specification---and what it sounds like with new EMG Xb Oversize horn with GRP (fibreglass) bell.

The initial part of the horn casting is an original aluminium item sourced from an itinerant derelict and damaged standard Xb horn (final bell diameter 29 ½") found in France a few years ago. The opportunity has been taken to upgrade to the larger Xb Oversize specification (final bell diameter 33 ½") much as might have been done during the nineteen-thirties. Light green pigmentation has been added to the fibreglass. The spring motor is a Paillard GGR 255 (also found in France) which, ascertained from the winding hole geometry, was what it was originally supplied with. The internal conduit is new but tonearm and soundbox are original EMG equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j1S3ikjK1g

The residual paper from the original horn bell will be used to restore other damaged extant horns as they appear.
Attachments
Glorious burr-walnut veneers.
Glorious burr-walnut veneers.
New deckboards with tonearm stop.
New deckboards with tonearm stop.
New Xb Oversize horn with light green pigmentation.
New Xb Oversize horn with light green pigmentation.
Standard Xb horn found on eBay in France.
Standard Xb horn found on eBay in France.

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

A brilliant (as everything you do) restoration, Graham! A stunner of a machine, and I am glad to see it back to a proper acoustic EMG gramophone.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Interesting machine with an interesting history. May I comment on the case? It's simple lines, the sorta French feet, and how the veneers are used all remind me of Hepplewhite/Sheraton furniture. Bothe Hepplewhite and Sheraton reacted to the Baroque Chippendale by simplifying the lines and relying on beautiful veneers.

Graham, I have a question. When you write that you restored the EMG to its original acoustic state, what does that mean? Is the machine now completely acoustic with a mechanical, crank-type motor or a hybrid with an electric motor? The machine dates from the Thirties. I could see such a thing evolving as there would be no need to crank the motor every few records.

John

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

jboger wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:30 pm Interesting machine with an interesting history. May I comment on the case? It's simple lines, the sorta French feet, and how the veneers are used all remind me of Hepplewhite/Sheraton furniture. Bothe Hepplewhite and Sheraton reacted to the Baroque Chippendale by simplifying the lines and relying on beautiful veneers.

Graham, I have a question. When you write that you restored the EMG to its original acoustic state, what does that mean? Is the machine now completely acoustic with a mechanical, crank-type motor or a hybrid with an electric motor? The machine dates from the Thirties. I could see such a thing evolving as there would be no need to crank the motor every few records.

John
John, this instrument is completely devoid of any electrical operation and the Paillard motor is a spring-driven (wind-up) item---such was the exact specification when new in the nineteen-thirties---a totally acoustic, mechanically-driven, gramophone. Many owners did indeed convert to electric motors during the nineteen-thirties as electric power was introduced into homes thus a restoration to either type could reasonably be thought of as appropriate. However, after many years of trying to decide which is preferable, I find I now come down on the side of the wind-up power source as being both reliable and cathartic---effort in, to obtain benefit out ! Additionally, power cuts are now irrelevant ! The party goes on unchallenged........................!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

What a great restoration... I like that you restored it to its original wind up configuration. Are those fiberglass horns readily available? It looks perfect. The original from France looks like it was used for target practice during the Normandy invasion...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Thank you for your kind comments and who knows how close the original horn was to WW2 activities !

I am afraid the horns are not readily available, primarily due to the worldwide demand being so small. I also took the decision many years ago only to reconstruct complete gramophones. The original project was to make twelve instruments, all of which have now found new homes except one. This example is one of two further items which have come about as a result of subsequent discoveries producing two further castings. Thus there are now fourteen in all. I still have all the patterns, formers and jigs, of course, but for any more to be made I should need firm orders for at least a further dozen due to the immense amount of work involved. Sadly, I cannot see such a situation arising.

Ethan
Victor O

Post by Ethan »

It certainly is a magnificent machine! When I first came across this thread a year or so ago, I thought it was a shame that the cabinet had turned up without the acoustic elements; I’m glad to see that it has been so wonderfully restored! The green color is a nice touch; it makes the horn seem very bright and cheery.

Can you say, roughly speaking, how much an EMGCR would cost? I’m just a college student with a limited income, but ever since I first read your thread on this forum about the original twelve machines, it’s been a bit of a dream of mine to own one—if making another production run was likely to take a couple years, or if it took that long for enough orders to come in, it’s possible that I could save up enough to afford one.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Pm sent.