Crank, to make or buy

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Dulcetto
Victor II

Re: Crank, to make or buy

Post by Dulcetto »

I have plenty of spare original cranks to suit a Garrard 20 , different lengths . Let me know the dimensions you require. I have Garrard 20 motors here so can check the cranks are correct diameter threads . I am located in UK

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I'm in the United States. I have the crank from an old Columbia 153a gramophone that was fitted to a Columbia 100 motor. It's super long so if you wanted to cut it down and have a very nice crank (you'd have to thread it) that would work. PM me if you're curious!

Charles

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Does your Atlas look something like this?
Attachments
atlas.jpg
atlas.jpg (24.01 KiB) Viewed 824 times

Darrell
Victor Jr

Post by Darrell »

Attached are some pictures. I have no illusions that that this was a "high-end" machine, it wasn't pampered its' entire life, and needs some minor repairs, but it operates and sounds good, so we'll continue on and enjoy it. And I don't know whether it was built by one of the major companies and simply private labeled by Atlas or if Atlas bought the mechanical components and assembled it themselves, so if anyone has any thoughts or comments in this regard I would definitely be interested in hearing them. As far as the crank, it turns out that a buddy thinks he might have a couple in his barn so will see how that plays out and otherwise might contact one of you about getting one.
IMG_0998.JPG
Attachments
IMG_0997.JPG
IMG_0996.JPG
IMG_0995.JPG
IMG_0993.JPG
IMG_0992.JPG
IMG_0991.JPG

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Atlas was one of many small firms in the UK assembling lower priced gramophones from bought in components, what Americans call "off brand".

The small Garrard No.20 motor is generally found in portables. Cabinet machines usually have something larger and more powerful. The HMV No.2 soundbox is nice to have, but it would be worth acquiring a second soundbox of later design for playing electrical records.

The few Atlas machines I have seen have all been portables. Your cabinet model is an unusual find, and especially so in the USA.