Gramophone Motors

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Gramophone Motors

Post by chunnybh »

Hello All,
I've been working on a gramophone motor section on my website. I've just uploaded the Garrard section. Please have a look here:
http://www.gramophonemuseum.com/gramophone-motors.html

Any corrections and advise welcome.

emgcr
Victor IV

Re: Gramophone Motors

Post by emgcr »

Well done Chunny---a Herculean task and very well executed. There has been a great gap in public information on this subject and your work fills it superbly. Very many thanks. Looking forward to the remaining sections when you have the time.

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

Congratulations on this valuable site!

Oliver Mundy.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Excellent work! Can't wait to see the forthcoming sections under construction, especially the Pathé Motors page.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Well done and very informative, congratulations!

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Fabulous work Chunny, what a boon to us all! Well done!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Thank you all for your encouraging words, I’ll endeavour to carry on with this project.
Over the years, I have been storing information and picture on motors in organized folder so I’ve ended up with a hard drive full of files. I was inspired to start compiling the Garrard page by reading “The Garrard Story” by the Mortimer’. The book is an interesting read from the viewpoints of a family of engineers who actually worked for Garrard over 63 years.
The Garrard section was the easiest to compile as there are so many catalogues, ads and surviving motors out there. Less so for the other manufacturers of motors so the other sections will have less detail and a lot more holes.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Excellent work. I like it. Thanks for sharing with the gramophone collector community.
Best regards ... AZ*

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

Thank you, Chunny, I have been meaning to do something similar for some time, particularly after I wrote the piece about Garrard 12, 12a AND 12b in For the Record No 65 (Spring 2018). I never progressed, because I could not fill some of the gaps, but I have some of your missing models and will attempt to upload photos of them. Motors 5 and 6 I have no knowledge of at all (possibly they never went into production), but I think I may have found something about No 8, which appeared after no 9. I will have to go back and have another hunt for it!
Attachments
And finally a 9, the most common of the all-steel models, I think
And finally a 9, the most common of the all-steel models, I think
Here's a 4A in the flesh -- no ideahow it differs from a 4
Here's a 4A in the flesh -- no ideahow it differs from a 4
No 3 a lightweight single-springer, Garrard's first all-steel frame
No 3 a lightweight single-springer, Garrard's first all-steel frame
No 2 is a very sturdy single-spring affair
No 2 is a very sturdy single-spring affair

chunnybh
Victor III

Post by chunnybh »

Thank you so much Oedipus for pictures of these missing links. I read your article in “For the Record”, with great interest. Fascinating to see the Decca/Garrard 12B specially adapted for the Decca 130. That’s customer care for you; I can’t image it happening today.
I figured the Garrard 12 and the Garrard 12a & b had different size springs, thanks to your article, I now have the measurements.
Thank you also to all the people who have sent me additional information and pictures. All very helpful and much appreciated. I’ll be updating the Garrard page very shortly.