Broken Spring

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
CR220
Victor Jr
Personal Text: CR220

Broken Spring

Post by CR220 »

I recently acquired a Brunswick model 200M phonograph with a number 3 motor that has a broken spring. The spring broke just a few inches from the where it hooks onto the shaft. Is there a decent way to repair the spring?

CR220
Victor Jr

Re: Broken Spring

Post by CR220 »

As a follow-up to this, I didn't intend to post this in the British and European section. I wasn't paying attention.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

That end of the spring is awkward to repair, as you have to get the last inch or so of the centre coil up and clear of the other coils in order to heat it to red hot without heating the rest. Plus removing any amount of spring from the centre coils will result in less playing time.

CR220
Victor Jr

Post by CR220 »

You are correct on it being awkward. I was thinking of using a Dremel tool to grind a new pear shaped hole in the end of the spring. Would this have a chance, or be a waste of time? From past experience with working with machinery, I could see it going either way.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

CR220 wrote:You are correct on it being awkward. I was thinking of using a Dremel tool to grind a new pear shaped hole in the end of the spring. Would this have a chance, or be a waste of time? From past experience with working with machinery, I could see it going either way.
Depends somewhat on how good you are with a Dremel tool. However, the spring end must be heated to red hot, then allowed to cool slowly. Otherwise, it will remain hard and brittle and crack again. Trick is to isolate and heat only the first 1" - 1.5" of spring without heating up the whole center of the spring windings.

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

I have had luck with a dremel, I used a cutting wheel to cut a triangle, and shaped it into a pear with sanding tips.

Martin

CR220
Victor Jr

Post by CR220 »

Thanks for all the tips and ideas, and I was successful in repairing the broken spring. I squared up the broken ends with the dremel, and riveted the ends back together with a couple of inches of overlap using eighth inch rivets. I turned the flat ends of the rivets toward the outside of the coil to allow it to stack right when winding. The only way I had to test the fix was to completely reassemble the motor and drop it back in the body of the machine. I gave it 45 cranks and it played the entire song "The Preacher and the Bear" by Phil Harris. I flipped the record, put in a new needle, and played completely through the other side without the machine slowing down. I reckon she's fixed for now.

CR220
Victor Jr

Post by CR220 »

Thanks for all the tips and ideas, and I was successful in repairing the broken spring. I squared up the broken ends with the dremel, and riveted the ends back together with a couple of inches of overlap using eighth inch rivets. I turned the flat ends of the rivets toward the outside of the coil to allow it to stack right when winding. The only way I had to test the fix was to completely reassemble the motor and drop it back in the body of the machine. I gave it 45 cranks and it played the entire song "The Preacher and the Bear" by Phil Harris. I flipped the record, put in a new needle, and played completely through the other side without the machine slowing down. I reckon she's fixed for now.

PS, I used a cobalt drill bit purchased from the local big box store to make the holes for the rivets. It worked well.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I did that many years ago on a Thorens motor. But I didn't have a dremel! I heated the spring broken ends at the kitchen gaslight and made the holes with a hammer and hard nail over a wooden block. I didn't have rivets neither, so I installed a bolt and nut, and shortened the bolt until flush with the nut. It worked some weeks, but in the end it broke again... Years later, with internet access, finally I managed to get a new spring. But meanwhile the repair was done twice! Times...
I actually never have had adequate tools, and all repairs I do by hand... If I ever had a good lathe...
Inigo

CR220
Victor Jr

Post by CR220 »

That's awesome that you did it blacksmith style.