The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings
https://forum.talkingmachine.info/

hmv 32 horn gramophone ... ever heard one? (long)
https://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40603
Page 3 of 3

Author:  SteveM [ Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: hmv 32 horn gramophone ... ever heard one? (long)

OrthoFan wrote:
I believe it was the HMV-31A (Colonial model) that was fitted with the #5a sound box and corresponding tonearm -- http://www.radio-antiks.com/IndexRadio- ... MV_31A.htm
Attachment:
1Capture.JPG


OrthoFan


The seller listed this as "1927." We talked about it, yet he still insisted on this date. I think I'd be prepared to tell people this is a 1935 machine. It seems like it's the very tail end of the Colonials, no?

Author:  SteveM [ Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: hmv 32 horn gramophone ... ever heard one? (long)

I'm out of town for a few days and sadly away from my new machine, but I keep wondering about it.

It's such an odd duck. A horned machine in 1935 ... with no lid ... how were they marketing these? Maybe for people who wanted an old-world look? I don't THINK they were eclipsing the sound of the internal orthophonic Colonial offerings of the day? I'd love to see an ad or something.

Hey George, if you end up making yourself a new conduit, make TWO and sell me one. I suck at plumbing!

Author:  epigramophone [ Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: hmv 32 horn gramophone ... ever heard one? (long)

SteveM wrote:
I'm out of town for a few days and sadly away from my new machine, but I keep wondering about it.

It's such an odd duck. A horned machine in 1935 ... with no lid ... how were they marketing these? Maybe for people who wanted an old-world look? I don't THINK they were eclipsing the sound of the internal orthophonic Colonial offerings of the day? I'd love to see an ad or something.

Hey George, if you end up making yourself a new conduit, make TWO and sell me one. I suck at plumbing!


The main market for these very late open horn machines was India, a poor country without a reliable mains electricity supply.
Their simple wooden cases lowered the cost of production compared with the contemporary table and cabinet models, making them relatively affordable.
Even the EMI Archives do not have a complete set of Indian machine catalogues, so the chances of seeing a period advertisement are minimal.

Author:  SteveM [ Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: hmv 32 horn gramophone ... ever heard one? (long)

I took the HMV 31a to a 20s-themed charity gala a few nights ago, paired with a 102. Mic’d up, they sound pretty similar. It was so nice using two orthophonic machines with auto brakes again. It was a huge hit.

Attachments:
E959999F-EA11-4145-A841-3F9554BB7602.jpeg
E959999F-EA11-4145-A841-3F9554BB7602.jpeg [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 628 times ]

Author:  SteveM [ Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: hmv 32 horn gramophone ... ever heard one? (long)

I read on the forum today how the conduits of these machines are sometimes wrapped to improve sound quality, as described below.

Inigo wrote:
This reminds me of what other colleagues do to the intermediate sound conduit of certain machines. The latest HMV external horn models (25, 32, 31a) had a tonearm detached from the horn, each one in one corner of the case. They are linked within the case through a sound pipe, which colleagues discovered works much better if damped, wrapping it in thick rubber bands and then adding plaster bands.. when dried these remain tightly around the conduit, adding mass and inertia, killing the vibrations added by the conduit material. EMG gramophones also have a long internal sound conduit, but this doesn't need wrapping, for they are thick cast aluminium, and very inert by themselves.


Anybody know anything about that?

My 31a is sounding pretty good ... rich and full. Not as well-balanced or perhaps "inert" as my 102, although louder. So, I'm always looking for ways to improve its sound.

Author:  gramophone-georg [ Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: hmv 32 horn gramophone ... ever heard one? (long)

SteveM wrote:
I read on the forum today how the conduits of these machines are sometimes wrapped to improve sound quality, as described below.

Inigo wrote:
This reminds me of what other colleagues do to the intermediate sound conduit of certain machines. The latest HMV external horn models (25, 32, 31a) had a tonearm detached from the horn, each one in one corner of the case. They are linked within the case through a sound pipe, which colleagues discovered works much better if damped, wrapping it in thick rubber bands and then adding plaster bands.. when dried these remain tightly around the conduit, adding mass and inertia, killing the vibrations added by the conduit material. EMG gramophones also have a long internal sound conduit, but this doesn't need wrapping, for they are thick cast aluminium, and very inert by themselves.


Anybody know anything about that?

My 31a is sounding pretty good ... rich and full. Not as well-balanced or perhaps "inert" as my 102, although louder. So, I'm always looking for ways to improve its sound.


Automotive sound deadener works really well wrapped on the outside. It's adhesive, so no need to wrap with rubber bands, etc.

Author:  SteveM [ Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: hmv 32 horn gramophone ... ever heard one? (long)

gramophone-georg wrote:
SteveM wrote:
I read on the forum today how the conduits of these machines are sometimes wrapped to improve sound quality, as described below.

Inigo wrote:
This reminds me of what other colleagues do to the intermediate sound conduit of certain machines. The latest HMV external horn models (25, 32, 31a) had a tonearm detached from the horn, each one in one corner of the case. They are linked within the case through a sound pipe, which colleagues discovered works much better if damped, wrapping it in thick rubber bands and then adding plaster bands.. when dried these remain tightly around the conduit, adding mass and inertia, killing the vibrations added by the conduit material. EMG gramophones also have a long internal sound conduit, but this doesn't need wrapping, for they are thick cast aluminium, and very inert by themselves.


Anybody know anything about that?

My 31a is sounding pretty good ... rich and full. Not as well-balanced or perhaps "inert" as my 102, although louder. So, I'm always looking for ways to improve its sound.


Automotive sound deadener works really well wrapped on the outside. It's adhesive, so no need to wrap with rubber bands, etc.


Very cool, thanks George!

Author:  SteveM [ Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: hmv 32 horn gramophone ... ever heard one? (long)

gramophone-georg wrote:
SteveM wrote:
I read on the forum today how the conduits of these machines are sometimes wrapped to improve sound quality, as described below.

Inigo wrote:
This reminds me of what other colleagues do to the intermediate sound conduit of certain machines. The latest HMV external horn models (25, 32, 31a) had a tonearm detached from the horn, each one in one corner of the case. They are linked within the case through a sound pipe, which colleagues discovered works much better if damped, wrapping it in thick rubber bands and then adding plaster bands.. when dried these remain tightly around the conduit, adding mass and inertia, killing the vibrations added by the conduit material. EMG gramophones also have a long internal sound conduit, but this doesn't need wrapping, for they are thick cast aluminium, and very inert by themselves.


Anybody know anything about that?

My 31a is sounding pretty good ... rich and full. Not as well-balanced or perhaps "inert" as my 102, although louder. So, I'm always looking for ways to improve its sound.


Automotive sound deadener works really well wrapped on the outside. It's adhesive, so no need to wrap with rubber bands, etc.


Very cool, thanks George!
Edit: I saw the size and price of the deadening material and decided to try out some motorcycle exhaust fabric. Maybe a good idea with all these HOT JAZZ records :)

Page 3 of 3 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/