Columbia 30

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Dangermouse
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I can resist anything except temptation..

Columbia 30

Post by Dangermouse »

Have chance of getting a columbia 30. Cant find any info online about it, plenty of Columbia 10's.... Any info would be helpful.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Columbia 30

Post by nostalgia »

I have myself never heard of a Columbia model 30, BUT...we know from this thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44585&hilit=columbia+index , that sometimes uknown Columbia models show up from deeper online research, as last year, when many Japan made Columbia portables was added to the thread given above.
Can you post some photos? Is it by the way a portable gramophone you have the opportunity to buy, or ?

Dangermouse
Victor Jr

Post by Dangermouse »

nostalgia wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:48 pm I have myself never heard of a Columbia model 30, BUT...we know from this thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44585&hilit=columbia+index , that sometimes uknown Columbia models show up from deeper online research, as last year, when many Japan made Columbia portables was added to the thread given above.
Can you post some photos? Is it by the way a portable gramophone you have the opportunity to buy, or ?
I have the chance to buy it, but dont know anything about it, like you never seen one
Attachments
128538898_10160591967139778_4998075144322925477_o.jpg
127236476_10160591966759778_528410567090883384_o.jpg

Dangermouse
Victor Jr

Post by Dangermouse »

Damn its a DECCA 30, was told it was a Columbia 30, its best to see the photos first..LOL

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Yes, this is a Decca, and not a Columbia 30. I am sure someone will be able to tell you more about this machine, since I don't own any Decca machines. But, if you use the "search" function on this forum, you will also find quite a lot of information....

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

DECCA 30

Post by Steve »

I have a mint Decca 30 in its original packing box. Its a great machine and for a time the top of the range in the late 1930s through to late 40s. At least it was the top of the range excluding the ubiquitous 130 which still existed for a while and appeared in different guises throughout the 1930s only. The 30 is identical to a 20 apart from the expense of the lavish nickel plated hardware everywhere. It certainly looks the part. The 20 is part gold spray painted and part gold lacquered where Garrard supplied the turntable and brake / speed controls. I think of the 20 as a poor man's version of the deluxe gold plated HMV 102.

Both the 20 and 30 have a near full length internal horn similar to HMV but the mouth of horn is created by the curvature of the case and is covered internally with rexine. The metal horn does not quite reach the curved wooden section for some odd reason.

The 10 has a short stub of internal horn terminating at approximately 6.30 on the clock face as you look into the case long ways on. Its very cheap! The 20 and 30 have removable record storage albums in the lid and the metal reflector shield below the album which sort of connects loosely to the horn mouth. The 10 has a hinged flap in lid similar to an HMV 101. It has no sound reflector. The 20 and 30 also have the tonearm mounted on the horn and isolated from the motor board. The nickel trim on the 30 gives the tonearm mounting a clear definition - the arm appears to be floating inside the horn mouth on its own island. All these things contributed to its higher production cost. The 10's tonearm is simply mounted on a curved projection in the motorboard overhanging the horn mouth.

I think the Decca 30 is quite uncommon. Judging by machines offered for sale today it seems they sold plenty of 10s and 20s but I don't know how many 30s. Its definitely worth buying as a robust, attractive and fairly competent Decca performer. Just don't expect it to perform like the bifurcated horn 130 model!

All three models: 10, 20 and 30 are fitted with Garrard 20 motors and the same Swiss made soundbox. A note of caution: these soundboxes often need a new rubber isolator to the back and some dampening material wedged between fascia plate and the aluminium body (to provide a snug fit to the tonearm and to prevent buzzing during play, respectively).

One further difference between the 10 and both 20 and 30 models is the lid locks and carrying handle. The 20/30 have twin lid locks, the 10 a single. However with regards to carrying handle this is where I prefer the 10! For some reason the 10 has a robust solid "off the shelf" luggage style handle of the period with steel loops at either end. These never wear out or brake. The more expensive 20/30 have in my opinion the inferior "pakawa" style handles similar to what HMV used on the 102. Please note they are not the same as HMV though.

Dangermouse
Victor Jr

Post by Dangermouse »

Thank you Steve, but some one beat me to it, so such is life......

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Thats too bad. I think its a fairly uncommon model and very desirable. Was it on Fleabay? What was the price?

Dangermouse
Victor Jr

Post by Dangermouse »

Steve wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:00 am Thats too bad. I think its a fairly uncommon model and very desirable. Was it on Fleabay? What was the price?
Was a private offer, we were haggling around the £100 mark, but someone came in and gave him £120 for it

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

I'm not surprised! Someone offered me £200 for mine which I gladly refused. Better luck next time. I've seen very clean 20s making in excess of £150 so bear that in mind.