How to fix the WHOMP sound problem

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
ricoxi
Victor Jr

How to fix the WHOMP sound problem

Post by ricoxi »

Dear all, anybody could kindly coach me how to fix the whomp sound problem, the motor is 3 springs motor and new srings were replaced already, but recently it has whomp sounds occured when i wind up to 20 times cranks (normally I do wind up to 35 cranks.) And also, when i playing the first record, it has little bit whomp sounds from the motor. I did grease the spring barrel and also oiled gears, but still not solved this problem, could you give me your experience and solutions?
Thank you for all!

Rico

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: How to fix the WHOMP sound problem

Post by barnettrp21122 »

It sounds like you need to pack more grease in the spring barrels. Too much is hardly ever a problem! The most that can happen is some excess appearing around the outside of the spring barrel shaft, which can be wiped off.
On Edison springs with an access screw on the side of the barrel you can inject more grease through the hole with the springs nearly fully wound. That's worked for me!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

barnettrp21122 wrote:It sounds like you need to pack more grease in the spring barrels. Too much is hardly ever a problem! The most that can happen is some excess appearing around the outside of the spring barrel shaft, which can be wiped off.
On Edison springs with an access screw on the side of the barrel you can inject more grease through the hole with the springs nearly fully wound. That's worked for me!
Bob
Yes not enough grease or the wrong grease

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Ricoxi,

I don't think opening the barrels with a screw will help. Guessing by your post history you have an HMV motor.

But you need more grease, and it needs to be slick.