Deutsche Grammophon horn model..Monarch?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Deutsche Grammophon horn model..Monarch?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

You need this gramophone... :)

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:You need this gramophone... :)
Ja! You VILL buy it, und you VILL like it!!! :x
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

I bought it! I was very excited before visiting an old couple owning the gramophone, but it all went well. They told me the story of the gramophone, having bought it in a Eastern European antique shop 30 years ago, and having crossed oceans in a sailing boat bringing the gramophone home, with the horn tied to the spinnaker. They now wanted to depart with it, being in their late 80's, and wanted a good home for the gramophone. Most important, I was the first person visiting them after they had decided to sell it, and the man in the house having discovered the last few days that the soundbox was destroyed, was now very eager to depart with the gramophone, and hand it over to someone who could still appreciate it, and maybe even put it back to its original state. Because of it, I got a very very good price for the gramophone.
I want to thank all forum members who assisted in the process of evaluating the gramophone. Yesterday evening I decided to take action and find out, if it was possible to see the gramophone, despite that the first give price was outside of my reach. At that time I did not yet know the couple was ready to lower the price because of the destroyed soundbox, but when talking to their son this morning, he told me they were ready to give a good price to the first person wanting the gramophone because they had discovered the soundbox problem.
I attach here some more photos, of the soundbox, and of the motor. I know quite a few members of the forum are waiting to see the motor, and hopefully someone can also tell a bit more about it. I also attach a photo of the brake, this is also an issue that have been discussed here in this thread. Myself, I cant see anything wrong with it, apart from that it lacks the filt that prevents metal to metal surface between the brake and the turntable. The soundbox itself, is an Exhibition. I have yet never repaired an Exhibition, and would like opinions on if you think this Exhibition is repairable, one can see the needle is missing, and the obvious gasket needs to be changed, along with the diaphragm? I found this link on Yotube, that maybe is what I need to repair the needle arm? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-Victrol ... fresh=true I also need a new glass, since it is broken.
But most important, you are right,.,,I love it already:))
Attachments
Soundbox.JPG
Motor1.JPG
Motor 2.JPG
brake.JPG
Monarch.JPG

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Hurray for you...! Nice machine! The motor is authentic, and seems to be in good shape. The soundbox parts you're missing can be salvaged from another exhibition, or purchased from people that make good repros (stylus bar, mica, gaskets and the back rubber isolator that surely will be dead). A very nice and easy project to take with love and care. You'll find here experts in every aspect who will guide you along the project, so you'll end with a marvelous machine that will bring you and your people hours of delight! Not to say that the work of restoring it into full life you'll find it very entertaining and satisfying! Take things with patience and never in a hurry. Restoration takes time. But soon you'll be at the end!
Congrats!
Where do you live? You can even find someone near you to help, but in any case, thru the forum you'll receive the best guidance. Just ask for everything, keep sending photos of your progress and you'll reach the goal! What a lucky guy are you!
Inigo

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Congratulations, that is a very desirable machine in nice condition and it seems you got it for a very good price. You will not regret it, Victor, HMV, DGAG machines were top of the line back then and now. Mica, gaskets and back flange of the Exhibition soundbox would have to be replaced anyway and are readily available from many sources. The same is true for the brake leather (not felt). For the needle bar you can either look for an original, or buy a perfect reproduction. In any case, you will have a great working machine in no time.

Congratulations again
Andreas

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you for all appreciations, congratulations and guidance on how to preserve the Monarch and its soundbox etc. I will walk slowly in repairing and fixing the grammophone, I will avoid at all cost to do something detrimental to it. I feel I possibly don't yet grasp how lucky I have been with getting the Deutsche Grammophon Monarch. I am new to collecting, despite having had a HMV 145 for 30 years (purchased in the UK in 1990), but it is only during the last few months, life has allowed me to dive into my hobby and interest.
The photo shows the "perfect couple", the Intermediate Monarch came into my life only 1 month ago, also at a price I felt was very good. It is lacking the soundbox, but I have been able to get hold of a G&T (early Exhibition)soundbox, that is safely waiting to be picked up and put on the Intermediate Monarch.
What feels most important though, is to be able to care for these items, and secure their existence for the future. I am not a rich man at all, but somehow I have been able to sell an old analogue Roland synth from 1985 that to my surprise proved itself to be valuable (a synth that I never really used, since I like more to listen to music than play music myself.;), a laptop I never was using, and other outdated household items held in my storage for years, and all of these sold items, have basically covered the expense of buying the gramophones.
Attachments
The perfect couple.JPG

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

And here comes the first question...Andreas said the back flange of my Exhibition needed to be replaced. Is the back flange the connector between the soundbox and the tonearm? I try to learn the terminology, but it will take some time since English/American is not my native language. And also, what is the Mica ? I have today removed the back part of the soundbox, and I have already spotted a difference on this part, when comparing to a HMV Exhibition soundbox. The back (flange?)on my "Gramophone and Typewriter Exhibition" on the Monarch is not made of rubber. I have a HMV Model 1, also with an Exhibition soundbox, but when checking it now, it is slightly different. I am not sure what material the back part (Back flange?) is made of on the Monarch, it looks like more like a metal really, but the important part is that I cant really see anything wrong with it, but should I anyway remove it and change it with a rubber version? I am attaching two photos of the part in question.
I have not yet disassempled the soundbox, the small screws are rusty, and I want to do this the right way...googling how to do it safely.
Update. I thought Mica was name of a component, but it is actually the name of the glass, that is broken on my Exhibition, ok.
Update; I disassembled a Exhibition for the first time, and the fact that it was a G& T made me more nervous. I now understand Mica equals diaphragm, and back flange must be the tone arm connector that on this early version of the Exhibition is not made of rubber. So what I need to buy is Mica, needle bar with springs, and two gaskets...If I am wrong, please correct me.
Update: Photos of cleaned back flange, Material x..and xx...does not feel like rubber at all, too heavy and too hard.
Attachments
material x2.JPG
material x.JPG
juni2019 007.JPG
juni2019 006.JPG
Last edited by nostalgia on Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The Exhibition soundbox is one of the world's simplest to repair. There is nothing to it. The back part is metal and the rubber joint is, of course, rubber...

what a nice story, too, about the gramophone crossing the sea on a sailboat! You need to play some great adventure songs and some sea shanties on it once you get it where it will crank up.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I can't really find any rubber joints on the back part of my G & T Exhibition, it is made of a completely different material than the HMV Exhibition, that I have on another gramophone, where the back part cleary is rubber. I thinkI will use it as it is, I see no need to change it, when it looks good. Yes, this gramo has a unique background, and need some unique music.;) My previous post contains latest update...

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

That large donut-shaped piece is rubber...and will need replacing. The Exhibition is an early style box that needs a lot of care before it can be used safely. The old rubber backs are made to be very soft so they can actually flex, and avoid the usual results like shredded grooves. Old rubber ossifies rather badly over time. I bought a Victor that had lain since about the year 1920 in its original box and the soundbox was degraded so badly that it sounded awful & chewed up my records. My other Exhibition came on a Victrola. The second day I owned it, the back shattered and the soundbox fell off.

If I'm mistaken, please put up some pictures of the Deutsche Grammophon back that is not rubber--I'd never heard of that before.