Another Unusual local find! - Cliftophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: Another Unusual local find! - Cliftophone

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Andy, the real news is that you don't only own 10 feet tall gramophones! :D

How is this Cliftophone portable soundwise? The tonearm looks interesting and unusual, but the horn looks undersized...

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:Andy, the real news is that you don't only own 10 feet tall gramophones! :D

How is this Cliftophone portable soundwise? The tonearm looks interesting and unusual, but the horn looks undersized...
Hahaha! It sounds very pleasant Marco, but nothing like as good as a contemporary HMV or Columbia. The mouth is small, as you say, but it has a kind of double reflector horn inside.

I couldn't find a photo of the inside of the horn, but whilst looking I was reminded of this interesting link: http://recordingpioneers.com/RP_CLIFTON1.html and below is a photo of the beautiful transfer inside the lid of most of the larger Cliftophone machines (although not my large one, which I've always thought is probably early):
Attachments
Cliftophone transfer.JPG
Cliftophone transfer.JPG (96.23 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

"Sweet airs that give delight"---love it!

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Interesting diaphragms... We've seen two of them here. Both share what seems a celluloid or Carey diaphragm with geometric groove pattern all across, to give it flexibility and stiffness at the same time. Another observable characteristic is a more solid and stiff Central disc where the needlebar attaches to the center. Seems like a spider, so to make all the arrangement to work as a true sir piston. Cleverly designed, innovative and curious. I'd love to see more photos of your Clifton's diaphragms. A real treat would be to see some videos for sound comparison....
Another thing in curious about is the way the needlebar fulcrum designed.. from the first photos of the rescued machine that started this thread, I imagine they used a flexible fixed plate placed between the mobile part and the front ring, as in certain Thorens soundboxes....
Could you, Cliftophone owners, share some detailed photos of the other soundboxes too see these details...?
Thanks in advance!
Inigo