Is this a genuine Pathefone, and is it a "Buy Now" ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Is this a genuine Pathefone, and is it a "Buy Now" ?

Post by nostalgia »

Does someone have any experience with ordering micro screws from Ebay etc to be used for attaching governor spring blades? I now have found the correct main spring for this motor, but also need to rebuild the governor spring. I think/hope I can handle the weights, (since I made new weights for a Polyphon table top earlier this summer,) even if I need build them, but I have a hard time finding screws for the governor blades. I have tested screws from both HMV 101/102 governor and also from Odeon/Parlophone motors, but they are all too tiny.
I know it is also not the size of the screw, but also the thread size that possibly will be a challenge. Any suggestions are very welcome.

physicist
Victor O

Post by physicist »

Buying small screws (bolts) from ebay is easy - there are lots to choose from. The difficulty is in establishing the size that you need. The images that you have uploaded would indicate that you are only missing some of the screws. This means that you can measure one of the screws that you already have to establish the correct size. For this you will need a thread gauge, which you can buy on ebay:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/362732653456?c ... ec3bf93049

This example has both metric and imperial thread sizes. With an old machine, it's difficult to predict what standard was in use at the time and place of manufacture. There is, however, a good chance that one of these will be a close enough match for you to then order suitable screws.

I needed a brass bolt to replace one missing from an expert soundbox. On measuring others, I could not be sure whether they were 9BA (imperial) or M2 (metric), which are very similar. After buying both, it turned out that either size fits adequately.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Nostalgia yours is an incredible machine and a real treasure! And thinking about how much you paid for it ,it surely will bring you Hours of happiness and contentment!
I would suggest you but if you are not sure about what finish to apply to the horn repair, just let it be as it is. It is better to see a repair than to see badly finished repair! It gives the machine testimony of it history and war wounds! This is not bad for a machine. It looks enormously beautiful!
I wish you luck with the screws and the governor!
This Gramophone in your collection is going to be the father of all your gramophones!
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you veru much, Physicist! A thread gauge is exactly what I need. I had never seen this tool before, but it for sure is an important tool in gramophone repair/restoration work. I was able to order a thread gauge that covers both metric and imperial thread sizes, I will be able to get it from a tool shop tomorrow. They did not have it in the retail shop, but could get it from another supplier's storehouse. Yes, I miss two small screws, and luckily I already have four, so I can take measures.

Inigo, I was close to give this horn " a permanent holiday", also because I had no idea if I should continue repairing the horn, or leave it as it is. When I read your words, I agree with you, mayeb it should keep it scars and war wounds. I have glued a 10 cm gap in the horn, and will probably allow that glue to stay, since it holds the horn together, but am actually now considering removing the wood filler that I was able to fill in on a small area at the rim of the horn. As you say, it is better to see an obvious repair, than a bad finish on top of the repair.
Thank you for your support and guidance on this matter, the restoration of horn has become my most difficult decision in my gramophone work during the last year, and for one year it has looked down on me, asking..what about me? :roll:
I will now focus on the screws for the governor, so I can see if I can finally make this motor run, and put the machine together again after one year in limbo.