My latest find.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: My latest find.

Post by CarlosV »

emgcr wrote:

I think the 164-A is an overseas model, possibly from Columbia's Japanese factory.
Ah--thank you. That makes sense as my grandfather worked for the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank and spent much of his life in the Far East.
Graham, I have one of these, with the plano-reflex arm, that has a Made in China sign stamped on the wood disc storage. That confirms Roger's assumptions.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Congratulations for your purchase, and welcome to the exclusive club of exclusive top-of-the-line Columbia portables! ;) I see fellow Graham Barber being mentioned once again - I wonder how many people he inspired with his nice website!

I'm the proud owner of a 160 that somehow travelled all the way to Venice, and needed a huge rehaul work. It's not the first time that I have to reckon that UK models were more finely refined than corresponding US counterparts... In this case, the 160 model had perhaps nicer embossements on the fabrikoid, but the record compartment was left completely unfinished, as can be seen in the pictures of this old thread.
epigramophone wrote:At present the 113 is not playing well. The gaskets are probably perished and in need of replacement, a job for a wet day when I have nothing else to do.
As already said by others, my jaw would drop if I'd see an original No. 15 with a mica diaphragm! The gaskets may indeed need to be replaced (although, in my experience, the orange rubber used by Columbia lasts much longer than other types and is often found still soft) but most of all prepare yourself to refit the soundbox with a more or less compatible aluminium diaphragm.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

The 164 seems to have solved the tracking problems of the 113A. I always think it a real pain, to have designed such a bulky luxurious portable with the best soundbox and that powerful sound, and not having payed any attention in the tonearm design to the tracking angle. At the outer rim of a 12" it is horrible!
The Plano reflex seems to have a more gracious angle!
Inigo

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:Congratulations for your purchase, and welcome to the exclusive club of exclusive top-of-the-line Columbia portables! ;) I see fellow Graham Barber being mentioned once again - I wonder how many people he inspired with his nice website!

I'm the proud owner of a 160 that somehow travelled all the way to Venice, and needed a huge rehaul work. It's not the first time that I have to reckon that UK models were more finely refined than corresponding US counterparts... In this case, the 160 model had perhaps nicer embossements on the fabrikoid, but the record compartment was left completely unfinished, as can be seen in the pictures of this old thread.
epigramophone wrote:At present the 113 is not playing well. The gaskets are probably perished and in need of replacement, a job for a wet day when I have nothing else to do.
As already said by others, my jaw would drop if I'd see an original No. 15 with a mica diaphragm! The gaskets may indeed need to be replaced (although, in my experience, the orange rubber used by Columbia lasts much longer than other types and is often found still soft) but most of all prepare yourself to refit the soundbox with a more or less compatible aluminium diaphragm.
All that was wrong with the soundbox was that the wax which sealed the joint between the stylus bar and the centre of the diaphragm had disintegrated. I replaced it with a drop of PVA and the machine now plays well. Why PVA? It goes on white so you can control it, dries colourless, remains flexible and is easily removed should the need arise.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Yes, PVA, white vinyl glue or Elmer's glue, as I believe it's also called, is great for that. I also use it for sealing diaphragm holes, and in my experiments with separated backplates, it is great for sealing the gaps, and easily removable.
Inigo