Rare Indian HMV table top gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Rare Indian HMV table top gramophone

Post by CarlosV »

Very nice and interesting machine,Steve! The oil bath motor makes it unique, I believe they were only used on the large reentrants. What about the horn, is it the same as the 113? and where did you find it?

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

That is one beautiful machine! Just out of curiosity, what is the lever diagonally opposite the speed control for please?

Barry

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

CarlosV wrote:Very nice and interesting machine,Steve! The oil bath motor makes it unique, I believe they were only used on the large reentrants. What about the horn, is it the same as the 113? and where did you find it?
Thank you for the kind comments, Carlos. I was especially pleased to have been given an exclusive opportunity to buy this before it got listed on EBay.

It is basically the 113 horn inside but with an extension to the drop tube from the tonearm. The tonearm is a re-entrant type so the mounting plate is rotated 45 degrees where it sits in the corner of the cabinet. Consequently only 2 of the 3 fixing holes are used!

Because the motorboard is very thick teak, they have had to cut out and recess both the oil-bath motor top plate and the tone-arm base-plate. A lot of work has gone into it. Internally there is a ply sheet sat on bearers to both sides of cabinet above the horn, below the motorboard, loosely covered with a thin flexible, almost linoleum type material. I have no idea what purpose it serves.

It was found in a small back street antiques emporium in Barcelona by a dealer. It was very dirty and quite scuffed all over when he found it.

The dealer's website is http://www.antiguedades.es and his name is Jose Pascual Aznar. I have found him very friendly, knowledgeable and extremely helpful and he currently has / has sold some truly fabulous and rare machines.

I have to add that exporting an extremely heavy machine like this isn't something a lot of dealers would consider and yet his attention to detail and care with packing is second to none. The machine arrived within a couple of days and everything was perfect. This sadly is becoming quite a rare thing now, so I would highly recommend Jose to anyone. Certain UK dealers I've dealt with would benefit from providing as professional and courteous a service as this.
Last edited by Steve on Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Phono48 wrote:That is one beautiful machine! Just out of curiosity, what is the lever diagonally opposite the speed control for please?

Barry
Hi Barry, thanks for the comment. The lever is to operate the oil lubrication pump to service various parts of the motor prior to playing. It was advised to pump the oil three to four times every time you use the machine. That is for each session not for every record or each time you wind the motor fully on any given day. Once a day for everyday use is sufficient.

I will add more pictures but in case you didn't know the 52 motor utilises a large enclosed oil reservoir into which all moving parts of the motor are installed.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Steve wrote:I will add more pictures but in case you didn't know the 52 motor utilises a large enclosed oil reservoir into which all moving parts of the motor are installed.
I've never seen this motor, so more pictures would be much appreciated.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Steve: I too like this machine, it really looks interesting, and good craftmanship is obviously behind it.
Congratulations on this buy, I am happy for you, and thank you for sharing all the photos.
Very good reading also about this honest and helpful Spanish dealer:)
-Nostalgia-

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

nostalgia wrote: Very good reading also about this honest and helpful Spanish dealer:)
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-25 um 14.37.34.png

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

The 52 motor is illustrated in His Master's Gramophone, Page 154. But there seems to have been a similar one called the 94, which I have never seen. Has anyone?

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Oedipus wrote:The 52 motor is illustrated in His Master's Gramophone, Page 154. But there seems to have been a similar one called the 94, which I have never seen. Has anyone?
Doh! So it is, never thought of looking there. Thanks. No, never seen the 94 either.