Columbia 204B....raised my curiosity

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Columbia 204B....raised my curiosity

Post by nostalgia »

I came across this red Columbia today that is up for sale. I have not yet aqcuired a Columbia, but somehow this red color ("of course") attracted my attention.
I have read a bit in the "HMV book" and understand this is a model that run parallell to HMV 97, and that is also has a HMV no 5A soundbox,recognizable by the Maltese cross mask on the soundbox. Something tells me "epigramophone" may have a special relationship with this model:)? I discovered that when searching for "204" in the search field. Would you (everyone reading this) say this is a collectable gramophone, worthy of..let us say 40-50 Euro? Winding handle is missing, but I don't see that as a major drawback...
I attach some photos, since I felt maybe you too would like to have a look at this red beauty:)
Attachments
3.JPG
1.JPG
4.JPG
4.JPG (153.63 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (213 KiB) Viewed 1272 times

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Columbia 204B....raised my curiosity

Post by Phono48 »

It's a very common model, but a bit more desirable in red. It has to be said it's a bit rough round the edges, but the record tray alone makes the price you've quoted a bargain! It is great sounding little machines, due to the superb soundbox, which by the way is a Columbia 15A, the same model as the HMV 21, not the 5A. Finding a winding handle may take a little while though.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you Phono48, for corrections and viewpoints. It is much appreciated. I also should have read my HMV book closer to pay attention to the correct name of the soundbox;)Yes, I felt the record tray would be a big plus:)

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

nostalgia wrote: Winding handle is missing, but I don't see that as a major drawback...
I could be wrong, but it looks like the winding handle is right there, in its' clip, just below the lid stay?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The winding handle is stowed right where it should be, and yes, I do have a special relationship with this model. Any machine, however humble, becomes special when it has been in the same family ownership from new. Here is the little heirloom :
Attachments
Columbia 204 001.JPG
Columbia 204 001.JPG (128.78 KiB) Viewed 1155 times

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I did not buy this gramophone that was sold through an auction site, the postage was 50 euro, and adding taxes etc, it would have been totalling around 150 euro, too much for my budget at the time being, and maybe also a bit more than I would have been willing to pay, not taking the budget into consideration.
In the advert it was said the winding key was missing, but maybe the ad publisher ( like myself too) could not see the key on the photos when putting the ad online.
Thanks for sharing the photo "epigramophone", the Columbia is almost overshadowed by that beautiful car, or one can choose to see it differently, that it adds marvel to the gramophone:)