Polyphon portable

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Polyphon portable

Post by nostalgia »

Taking a small break from servicing, this Polyphon portable grabbed my attention today. It is for sale for 40 euro.
Could anyone tell something about this portable? I have read on Wikipedia about Polyphon Musik Werke in Leipzig, and that it was merged
with Deutcshe Grammophon in 1932. Is it German made? I am a bit confused by the Wikipedia info, since it also looks like some gramophones can have been made in Stockholm, by Nordic Polyphon, or maybe that was just the name of the importer who also owned shares in the company? Finally, would you consider it collectible? I have only one photo that I upload.
Attachments
Polyphon.png

Sidewinder
Victor III

Re: Polyphon portable

Post by Sidewinder »

Hi, at 40 euro, a bargain!

Here a polyphon record label from 1927
Attachments
polyrec.JPG
polyrec.JPG (19.64 KiB) Viewed 1017 times

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you Sidewinder, I will see if I have room for another portable in my rather small living space.;)

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Polyphon was the largest manufacturer of disc playing musical boxes, but they saw the future and produced their first gramophones in about 1905.

In November 1916 the German government ordered the liquidation of the property owned by The Gramophone Company (HMV) in Germany, i.e. The Deutsche Grammophon Actien Gesellschaft (DGAG). In April 1917 the DGAG was sold by public tender to Polyphon Musikwerke. HMV never regained control of DGAG, but after a legal battle lasting over ten years they were awarded compensation for their loss in March 1931.