EMG logos

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

EMG logos

Post by chunnybh »

Here is a collage of EMG logos. I knew there were a few different ones but was surprised to find at least six different ones. The first one is often seen in different colours.

Are there any more out there?
Attachments
combined-emg-logo.jpg

emgcr
Victor IV

Re: EMG logos

Post by emgcr »

Fascinating Chunny. I also never realised there were at least six different versions. Having looked through my files, the example top left seems to be the one they mainly used in correspondence and sales brochures. I have numbers two and six on ivorine plaques on deck-boards.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Thanks so much for pointing this out Chunny, I had no idea!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

My dear Chunny, this is a quite interesting posting, and I just found the seventh logo, see below. It bears some resemblance to the first in your sequence, but it has several differences, like an almost invisible pipe, a different drawing of the case, the horn showing an inner path etc. It is like going through a 7-error picture game. By the way, the logo is from my machine. I suspect that there are more different ones, evidently standardization was not their main concern. They sold so few of these machines that probably everytime one was sold the house artist painted a little logo and nailed it on before shipment.
Attachments
EMG logo.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Very nice! Like "arts & crafts" woodcuts. Any one of them would make a nice poster or framed print.

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

I think the artist who did the original wood cut for H.B. Davey, was paid £5 for it. I think. he to. was a pipe smoker. Yes, chunny this is indeed an interesting subject. and I am sure all of us are grateful for you bringing it to our attention. Thanks to you.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

This is the logo used for the oval badges on the deck-boards of the twelve EMGCR Xb Oversize gramophones made with aluminium/fibre-glass horns. Apologies that the images are not too clear but it is difficult (for my limited photographic ability) to photograph a highly-polished nickel and ceramic convex surface without too much reflection. Nine were black, one blue, one red and one light brown.
Attachments
EMGCR badge.PNG
EMGCR badge.PNG (64.06 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
DSC06996.JPG
DSC06712.JPG

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

emgcr wrote:This is the logo used for the oval badges on the deck-boards of the twelve EMGCR Xb Oversize gramophones made with aluminium/fibre-glass horns. Apologies that the images are not too clear but it is difficult (for my limited photographic ability) to photograph a highly-polished nickel and ceramic convex surface without too much reflection. Nine were black, one blue, one red and one light brown.

I have a few EMG items but I am pretty bad at 'spot the difference' puzzles :)

However, I thought that these two might be different to those shown above ?
Attachments
one.jpg
one.jpg (171.91 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
two.jpg
two.jpg (172.51 KiB) Viewed 1610 times

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Thank you Carlos for the closeup of the plaque. I believe that may be the very first version. I have the same plaque on an EMG IV from 1929. They all look like they were done by the same person. Perhaps a doodle by Balfour Davey himself.
Here is another embossed one on the cover of "The Art of Record Buying 1976". Inside the book there are another two versions. 1 and 4.

Graham, I love your EMGCR buttons. Very nice indeed.
I'm not sure about the last two by poodling around. They look like number 3 and 1 to me with print quality variations. Perhaps even rubber ink stamps.
Attachments
7.jpg
7.jpg (38.45 KiB) Viewed 1537 times

chunnybh
Victor III

Post by chunnybh »

One more from the mid 1960's.
Attachments
9.jpg