Columbia Viva Tonal, model 212, anyone?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Columbia Viva Tonal, model 212, anyone?

Post by nostalgia »

This Columbia portable grabbed my interest today, it is for sale for 120 euro. I could find minor information on the forum when completing a search, and also not much when doing a google search. It looks rather pristine to me, even if the photos are a bit blurry.
I dont even know if this is a US or UK made Columbia? Any input would be appreciated.
Attachments
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Columbia Viva Tonal, model 212, anyone?

Post by epigramophone »

This looks like a product of Columbia's Japanese factory, which they acquired in about 1927 when they took over the Nipponophone company. They made a range of machines which were never marketed in the UK, and about which very little information exists.

One such machine is my Model G-208, purchased new in Hong Kong by the grandfather of the eBay seller. I have never seen another, but I live in hope that someone some day will discover and post a Japanese Columbia machine catalogue.
Attachments
Columbia G-208 001.JPG
Columbia G-208 001.JPG (81.18 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
Columbia G-208 003.JPG
Columbia G-208 003.JPG (111.82 KiB) Viewed 2609 times

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

This is my small collection of Japanese Columbias. In order of appearance they are: 204, 55 ,211, 213, 200, and 102, (which I think is Chinese, judging by the transfer in the lid.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you for all valuable and interesting information about this, and other Columbia portables. I was not even aware of the fact that Columbia had a factory in Japan, but that explains of course why it is hard to find information about this 212 model, and other Japan made Columbias. Thank you also for uploading photos of different Japan made Columbia models, it is for sure interesting to have a look at these. I admit, after collecting, reading and servicing gramophones since last summer, it is a real challenge to get a grip on the wide selection of the different Columbia portables. I guess it is only one way to do this, collect photos of the different models, and try organize them...
I will consider buying this 212(if my monthly budget tolerate it , since I understand it is quite unique, even if it is a bit more expensive than I normally would like to pay for a black portable.
I lost a HMV 108 today at a price of 40 euro, spending too much time reading about this model in the "HMV book", before deciding if I wanted it or not, so I will need to decide if I go for this 212 or not, pretty soon, before it also is lost.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I purchased this Columbia, for 120 Euro. I collected it three days ago, and today had a closer look at it. It seems to be of
amazing quality. The beautifully polstered case, the shiny chrome fittings, the beautiful wooden motorboard, everything seems to be of magnificent craftmanship, and having been well protected and stored in a good environment. No rust, no damp, no tear...
Also the machine is easy to wind up, no bad sounds from the spring ( from what I know, this maybe is not a problem with Columbia portables?).
It seem to have much power, and if I am not adviced to open the machine and service it, I see no point to do it as it looks and operates now.
I tested some records, and the sound level and clarity amazed me, a lot ! It is easily the best sound I have yet heard from a portable.
The only issue I have with it, is that there is a small rattling sound coming from the soundbox metal diaphragm. It does not at all seem to be cracked, more that there is a loose component in there somewhere. Since I have not yet serviced a soundbox, I will be extremely cautions in this matter, but luckily...again...the wonderful restore-a-gram.co.uk website has a detailed page dedicated to refurbishing this soundbox:)
I share some photos for reference and common interest and pleasure, since I understand this is a less common Columbia model.
Attachments
7.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Assuming that the stylus bar pivots are not loose, the problem may be where it joins the centre of the diaphragm. Over time, the drop of molten wax used to seal the screw can dry out and disintegrate. I replace it with a drop of PVA wood glue on both sides, which goes on white (enabling you to see what you are doing) and dries colourless. It remains flexible when dry and is easily removed if necessary, unlike Super Glue which some "repairers" use.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you, Roger. Your information and advice is, as always, much appreciated. I look forward to dive
into opening and servicing soundboxes during the next few weeks, having already harvested some different rubber gaskets
etc for the Exhibition and HMV 4 soundboxes and will also look into different glass/mica diaphragms.
Do you use PVA wood glue only for metal diaphragms? If you can brand name the wood glue you use, it would be great:)

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

PVA (Polyvinyl Acetate) is a rubber synthetic polymer which is a constituent of what is commonly known as wood glue.
There are many brands available, depending on where you live, but I am currently using Unibond on both mica and aluminium diaphragms.
Attachments
Unibond.jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

This 212 seems to be identical to my 213 pictured above (4th photo down). I wonder if the difference is in the motor?

Barry

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you Roger, for posting the photo of the glue. For this delicate job, I prefer much to use a glue that someone with experience is using, instead of testing new ground and possibly ruin soundboxes.
And Barry, yes...your Columbia 213 looks very very similar to my 212, from the photos...exactly similar. But as you say, there may (must?) be some differences somewhere, and since they are not visible with the naked eye, they very probably are in the motor?
When looking at all these Columbia portable gramophone models showing up, one can really start to ask oneself how many different portable models Columbia have made (with the Columbia brand name on it) in total. I did not put the question mark at the end here, even if I of course would have liked to put it there.;) I don't know if someone has any clue really. If they have, it could be very very interesting information, of course.