My HMV102 Group Photo.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

My HMV102 Group Photo.

Post by epigramophone »

Since posting pictures of my recently acquired Brown 102 I have received several requests to post a group photo of my as yet incomplete collection, so here goes :
Attachments
IMG_2175.JPG

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: My HMV102 Group Photo.

Post by nostalgia »

Fantastic look:)) Thank you for sharing, Roger:)) I am only half way there, so photos like this makes my conquest
filled with even more energy and dedication ( not that dedication and energy have been absent lately, but...;)
I enjoy it a lot when photos like this are shared, to the extent one feel it is okay to share, of course:)
I know you have collected through many years, but your latest find of the brown 102, shows it is possible to find unique gems also in 2019.

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Post by phonosandradios »

Thanks for sharing that. As a group they look very impressive. I've seen the usual black many times and have once seen a blue and a green one in an antique shop in Windsor but I have never seen a red, red / gold or a brown before.
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

What a beautiful display! Congrats!
I only own one black 102 of 1945 (MOS). I own a black 101 and a crocodile brown one, which can be seen in my blog
001 002 (1).png
http://gramusica.blogspot.com/2009/05/g ... n.html?m=1
This is the second style 101, side wind and standard no4 soundbox, but the motor is the 410, and the winding handle storage arrangement is clipped on the motorboard.
Inigo

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Very nice photo and collection, Roger, these are high quality machines. I stopped my 102s with a black and a blue, but kept collecting the colonial HMV models, and managed to amass several including a teak 102.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

My only Colonial HMV is a front wind 101 which has featured elsewhere on this forum, but if a Teak 102 came my way I would be tempted.

bikesteve
Victor Jr

Post by bikesteve »

My collection stands at five and a half, just purchased a green which needs a good strip & clean before joining the group photo. The 'half' I bought as a parts doner 102 without a case but does actually play reasonably well with a soundbox attached. Do half wish they'd only made them in black, I might of stopped at 2!
Attachments
image1 (5).jpeg

phonosandradios
Victor II

What I want to know is how do you get such an old machine to look so amazingly pristine? They honestly look like they just came off the production line!!
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

phonosandradios
Victor II

epigramophone wrote:Since posting pictures of my recently acquired Brown 102 I have received several requests to post a group photo of my as yet incomplete collection, so here goes :

On looking at the photo more closely I wonder what the story is behind that sticker on the back left machine "Not wanted on voyage"

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

phonosandradios wrote:On looking at the photo more closely I wonder what the story is behind that sticker on the back left machine "Not wanted on voyage"
When a passenger boarded a ship, their luggage would be stacked on the quayside to be loaded by porters. If, as in this case, a piece of luggage was not need during the voyage, it was labelled "Not wanted on voyage", and was stowed in the hold of the ship, rather than being taken to the passengers cabin. I have a Columbia 113 portable that has a similar sticker.