Columbia portables..the endless enigma?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Oedipus
Victor II

Re: Columbia portables..the endless enigma?

Post by Oedipus »

Exactly which earlier model his case comes from (if it does) could be ascertained by comparing precise measurements. But it looks to me like a 206 case with less rounded corners, and that is to make it fit the 101 corners which they presumably had a stock of in 1946 that they wanted to use up. I reckon the lid hinge likewise is there to use up old stock. It is certainly not a 101 case - the lid is too deep, due to the flush motor board which was one of the Columbia features retained by EMI and eventually (in 1948) copied into the 102 to save the cost of making two different cases.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

The case measures 11 ½" wide x 16" deep x 7" high. The lid itself is 2 ½" deep.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Steve wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:14 am The case measures 11 ½" wide x 16" deep x 7" high. The lid itself is 2 ½" deep.
Exactly the same as the 112A and the 202. It would be interesting to to see if there is any evidence of filled in holes where the original winding handle escutcheon would have been, and the four holes from the original carrying handle brackets?

Barry

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

No holes. It was a virgin case.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

This Model 56 has just appeared on eBay. The Maltese dealer's plate suggests an Italian made machine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203649765349 ... 1438.l2649
Attachments
Model 56.jpg
Model 56.jpg (21.63 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
56.jpg
56.jpg (23.44 KiB) Viewed 1106 times

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

epigramophone wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:41 am This Model 56 has just appeared on eBay. The Maltese dealer's plate suggests an Italian made machine.
Why so? While I agree that Malta should logically be Italian, it has been under UK until 1964.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

I think this is a Japan made Columbia, I have a model 56 myself, and it looks identical, and is made in Japan. The model 56 must have been imported to Scandinavia in the past, since it is sometimes seen for sale here. I have no idea who imported it to Malta, but since Nippon Columbia were exporting to Scandinavia, I guess they just as well could export to Malta. The type of winding handle is also the one found on Japan made Columbia portables.

Unofficial list of Columbia portables (including model 56): viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44585&hilit=list+of+japan+made

We can see also photos of model 56 in this thead : viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44519&hilit=columbia+holy+grail

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Marco Gilardetti wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:23 am
epigramophone wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:41 am This Model 56 has just appeared on eBay. The Maltese dealer's plate suggests an Italian made machine.
Why so? While I agree that Malta should logically be Italian, it has been under UK until 1964.
The 56 was an overseas model made outside the UK and never catalogued in the UK.
I thought I had made it clear that my comment about an Italian origin was a suggestion and not a statement of fact.
If you have a better suggestion let's hear it.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Has anyone had a Columbia 125?

I'm looking at possibly adding one of these this weekend to the phonograph stash (better sell some typewriters) and have never seen a 125 before. Still have a 202 (thanks to gramophone-georg & a bit of trading) and wouldn't mind adding another Columbia.

This one is a tiny machine and looks cheaper than the 202. Definitely it's small, with a highly nickeled 10" turntable and a hinged needle bowl rather than a swiveling one. The crank is different as well and there is no auto brake. Looking to get it into examination.
Col 125.jpg
125 closeup.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

It looks as having a big exponential horn inside... Must sound very well ... although similar to other portables, those have the tonearm at the back, so the horn is a bit longer. In this one, the mounting of the tonearm suggests that the horn runs along the large side and then turns right along the short side straight to the back opening. Shorter and wider than the other horns. Anyway, summing up the length of tonearm, large and short sides, it could well reach a total length of four feet for the sound pipe... not bad!
Inigo