Columbia portables..the endless enigma?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Columbia portables..the endless enigma?

Post by nostalgia »

That is a good question, in my relatively short time here, I can't remember having seen this topic covered.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Steve wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:54 pm Nice machine, identical to my 9000A. Do we know what the difference between a 9000 and a 9000A is, excluding the odd machine I've posted?
"His Master's Gramophone" states that the 9000 was introduced in 1946, but that "there is evidence that it had existed in black only before the War, presumably in prototype form." If that is indeed the case, you have found one of the prototypes.

Roger.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

epigramophone wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:44 am If that is indeed the case, you have found one of the prototypes.

Roger.
I agree. Studying the photos more closely, I see differences in the case hinges, lid clasp, case corners, and shape of the case itself. All else appears to be genuine and original.

Barry

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I would not worry too much. These machines it's clear they were made in several variations aside from what the books say...
Inigo

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Phono48 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:13 am
epigramophone wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:44 am If that is indeed the case, you have found one of the prototypes.

Roger.
I agree. Studying the photos more closely, I see differences in the case hinges, lid clasp, case corners, and shape of the case itself. All else appears to be genuine and original.

Barry
The lid clasp is the standard one used on the earlier 206, not to mention HMV 97 and Columbia 204. There might be others.

Yes, as I said the case is definitely more Columbia 202 and HMV 101 than HMV 202.

If it is a prototype it seems odd that they'd revisit an older style case in 1940-46.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Inigo wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:29 am I would not worry too much. These machines it's clear they were made in several variations aside from what the books say...
So true. I've encountered many models you won't find in any book.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

epigramophone wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:44 am
Steve wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:54 pm Nice machine, identical to my 9000A. Do we know what the difference between a 9000 and a 9000A is, excluding the odd machine I've posted?
"His Master's Gramophone" states that the 9000 was introduced in 1946, but that "there is evidence that it had existed in black only before the War, presumably in prototype form." If that is indeed the case, you have found one of the prototypes.

Roger.
It would be very interesting if it was a prototype sold off immediately post-war (1946).

I read that note but it didn't make much sense to me in light of this machine.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Just consider they might still have unused 101 cases...
The little 101 is the one that amazes me. 6 years of life only, and it's still the most common portable. I'd bet the are more 101s than 102s. Maybe the 102 came out at a moment when the 1929 Crack was extending its effects all over the world, and later when the crisis passed, radio was very strong. In the 2nd peak of record sales, there were already cheap electrical pickups that you could attach to the radio for playing records... The 102 was in production 30 years, but still it seems there are much more 101s than 102s... :?:
Inigo

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Inigo wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:11 am Just consider they might still have unused 101 cases...
The little 101 is the one that amazes me. 6 years of life only, and it's still the most common portable. I'd bet the are more 101s than 102s. Maybe the 102 came out at a moment when the 1929 Crack was extending its effects all over the world, and later when the crisis passed, radio was very strong. In the 2nd peak of record sales, there were already cheap electrical pickups that you could attach to the radio for playing records... The 102 was in production 30 years, but still it seems there are much more 101s than 102s... :?:
The 101's production run coincided with the peak of portable gramophone popularity.
The 102's production run was interrupted by WW2, and after that the demand for acoustic gramophones was in decline.
Most post war 102 production was exported to countries without a reliable mains electricity supply.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

epigramophone wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:43 pm
Inigo wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:11 am Just consider they might still have unused 101 cases...
The 101's production run coincided with the peak of portable gramophone popularity.
The 102's production run was interrupted by WW2, and after that the demand for acoustic gramophones was in decline.
Most post war 102 production was exported to countries without a reliable mains electricity supply.
Yes, I agree with this. You've summed it up very well!