HMV 202?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
SPOONMAN19
Victor O

HMV 202?

Post by SPOONMAN19 »

Hi all,

So I came across this; I think its a 202 but am sure the experts here will set me straight if I'm wrong!

If I do end up getting this - I'll have to go thru considerable pains with regards to shipping and handling. So is this machine worth the effort - as in, is this a model that we all rarely come across?

So wanted your advice - the person selling this is not very sure what he wants to sell this for. But he does want it gone. So while I don't want to take advantage of him, I also dont want to overpay. So what ought to be a fair price? If indeed this is worth lugging across 3/4th of India.

Lastly, wishing you all a great holiday season; and you and your families a healthy and happy 2020.

Best,
s
Attachments
4.jpg
3.jpg
6.jpg
2 (2).jpg
2 (1).jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: HMV 202?

Post by Phono48 »

Yes, it is (or was!) a 202, but it has been severely mucked about. The legs have been shortened, the door hinges have been replaced, but worst of all, the original motor has been replaced. Personally, I wouldn't touch it.

Barry

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Post by phonosandradios »

plus non original grill cloth and you wonder if the original horn is still there also...

I agree leave well alone. There are better examples out there.
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Have you seen this in person? the 202 be should be made of made oak? This looks something else (or repolished)?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Sidewinder wrote:Have you seen this in person? the 202 be should be made of made oak? This looks something else (or repolished)?
The machine is in India (see original post) where they were made in Teak. This is only the second Teak 202 I have seen, but it has been butchered beyond economic restoration.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

I would say it depends on price - I would go for it if it was fairly low (also given the transport issue). If a teak cabinet 202 is super rare, and assuming the re-entrant horn is present, the correct motor is not impossible to find. Aesthetically though (hinges etc) it will never be perfect, but you will have an "almost" 202, with 202 sound. If the horn is missing then all you have is a messed up 202 cabinet.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Sidewinder wrote:I would say it depends on price - I would go for it if it was fairly low (also given the transport issue). If a teak cabinet 202 is super rare, and assuming the re-entrant horn is present, the correct motor is not impossible to find. Aesthetically though (hinges etc) it will never be perfect, but you will have an "almost" 202, with 202 sound. If the horn is missing then all you have is a messed up 202 cabinet.
I'd tend to agree - restoration would be a huge challenge and expense, but 202s/203s are pretty rare and highly valuable - although the days of £15000 price tags are long gone, a good one is surely worth £5000 or more, so I'd have thought this must be worth something.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

SPOONMAN19
Victor O

Post by SPOONMAN19 »

Thanks all.

So I wont be getting it. Given all the excellent feedback, I really dont want to go thru the massive hassle of moving this machine from one corner of India to where my parents are. And from there to then transport it to me...I would consider doing it for a teak 202 in far better condition!

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

I saw this machine, too. It was advertised on olx.in. The condition was wanting, but based upon a video I received, the horn was likely original.

Best,

Garret

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

The motor is original and it's the more desirable oil-bath type too. Still, a pristine 202 is probably worth £7000 so this example is likely worth about ½ to 40% of that.
Last edited by Steve on Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.