Were there ortophonic-like HMV machines?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
muzafan
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I like old tech phonographs in particular

Were there ortophonic-like HMV machines?

Post by muzafan »

For a while I wanted an ortophonic but getting one in Europe is quite difficult. Where there any HMV machnes that matched Victor Ortophonics in Sound Quality?

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: Were there ortophonic-like HMV machines?

Post by AZ* »

Yes. They are known as HMV "re-entrant" gramophones which hit the market in 1927.

There is one for sale on this site. Link:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=43276
Best regards ... AZ*

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

The most popular was the HMV 102 portable which incorporated the Orthophonic technology--exponential horn, spider-driven diaphragm, air-tight tone chamber, etc.. That was in production from 1931 through about 1960. If anything, it exceeded the sound quality of the Victor Orthophonic portables.

In addition to the Re-Entrant models AZ mentions, there were also smaller cabinet and table-top gramophones. All shared the "Orthophonic" design technology I mentioned above.

OrthoFan

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

I would always warmly suggest the 202 to anyone :D
Attachments
IMG_0095.jpeg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

muzafan wrote:For a while I wanted an ortophonic but getting one in Europe is quite difficult. Where there any HMV machnes that matched Victor Ortophonics in Sound Quality?
Yes and indeed the bigger models easily surpass the Victor models. The 163 is quite common but the 193/4 and 202/3 models are quite scarce and especially desirable due to their much superior sound quality.

I've owned every model but now just have the 202 similar to the picture above. The 203 model is identical from a size and technical point of view but has a mahogany cabinet with gold plated fittings. The cabinet is a different design to suit the style being emulated with the different timbers and finish.

muzafan
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I like old tech phonographs in particular

Post by muzafan »

Thank you for answering for my question, now I know what to look for. If there are any misspelings it is because of the New Years celebration ;).