Georges Carette Kastenpuck

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Georges Carette Kastenpuck

Post by Curt A »

I have one of these phonographs, in about the same condition as the attached pictures. Has anyone seen another of these or know anything about them?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 6.44.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 6.45.06 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

budsta
Victor I

Re: Georges Carette Kastenpuck

Post by budsta »

I thought they were generally referred to as a “ Knightingale” puck.
They turn up occasionally, and i would not consider them rare.
There is another version where the deck is painted. I couldn’t answer which version I’ve seen more so maybe even.
The lids often seem to be missing so having one is a bonus.

Stephen

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Georges Carette Kastenpuck

Post by Curt A »

These puck machines are known as "Skylark" Kastenpucks (kasten means box in German) and were made in Nuremberg, Germany in the early 1900s by Georges Carette. They are very unusual in the USA, but since they were made in Germany, more examples are probably seen in Europe. Georges Carette was a toymaker in Nuremberg and was famous for making tin toys in connection with the toymaker Bing...

From the "No Edison" website:
The firm of George Carette & Co. was founded in 1886 in Nurenberg, Germany by George Carette as a company to manufacture toys. George Carett was French, born in Paris, but moved to Nurenberg after he married his wife, who was from Nurenberg.

Originally the company was called "Spielwaren-Industrie-Gesellschaft George Carette & Co", however in 1895 it was renamed to "George Carette & Co" . At its founding, Carette had been assisted by the Bing brothers, also toy makers in Nurenberg. The companies became major competitors in the tinplate toy market.

The company of George Carette & Co produced not only tinplate toys but also steam engine toys, electrical tram toys, magic lanterns, optical items, scientific teaching aids, and also phonographs, and later disc music players.

Carette had showrooms in London, Berlin, Hamburg, Paris and Vienna.

Carette products were sold all over Europe. The Puck phonographs of Carette usuaually have "GC & Co" cast into the underside of the base.

The fact that Carette had never given up his French citizenship worked to his detriment during the First World War, when Germany deported him back to France, and the company of George Carette & Co ceased to exist in 1917.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife