EMI Gramophone Coasters

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

EMI Gramophone Coasters

Post by nostalgia »

I had to share this photo. I have never seen these coasters before myself, but I am sure someone else here know them. Maybe someone also know the history behind them? It could be interesting to know...I tried to Google, but was not able to find any information myself.
Attachments
Emi Gramophone Coasters.jpg

jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: EMI Gramophone Coasters

Post by jamiegramo »

They look like Dutch Delft pottery tiles. I'm sure I've seen them somewhere before.

The inaccuracies suggest 1970s rather than much later, for instance the Graphophone is a Zonophone and certainly not 1890. It certainly doesn't pre-date the hand-operated Berliner Gramophone of 1891.

Perhaps produced for the centenary of the phonograph of 1977.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I now asked the seller, he says they are made of glass, and possibly issued as a commercial stunt for the 50 year anniversary of EMI in 1981 ( he could not verify this last information). The set is full, 8 pieces. Strange though, that EMI could not verify and double check the information on the coasters before putting their name on them. He will not ship them in post, I don't blame him for that, they look fragile...

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

jamiegramo wrote:They look like Dutch Delft pottery tiles. I'm sure I've seen them somewhere before.

The inaccuracies suggest 1970s rather than much later, for instance the Graphophone is a Zonophone and certainly not 1890. It certainly doesn't pre-date the hand-operated Berliner Gramophone of 1891.

Perhaps produced for the centenary of the phonograph of 1977.
Plus, the "Phonograph" in the lower left is a Columbia "HG" or "AG" Graphophone.

- Bill

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

nostalgia wrote:I now asked the seller, he says they are made of glass, and possibly issued as a commercial stunt for the 50 year anniversary of EMI in 1981 ( he could not verify this last information). The set is full, 8 pieces. Strange though, that EMI could not verify and double check the information on the coasters before putting their name on them. He will not ship them in post, I don't blame him for that, they look fragile...
Perhaps the manufacturer did not ask permission to use the EMI name, which might explain how the inaccuracies crept in.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Yes, since you now have pinpointed the errors on the coasters, let us hope they were not distributed officially by EMI themselves, that would be rather embarrassing for them.