Parlophon (really) Grand Design floor gramophone !

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Parlophon (really) Grand Design floor gramophone !

Post by estott »

It probably looked quite striking when it was new and the finish was fresh and glossy. There is a touch of the Moderne style in it - ovescaled classical mouldings and contrasts of light and dark.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

I asked for more photos, and finally received two. I guess this confirms that Roger (epigramophone) was right,
this is very much homemade, and also actually electrically powered, as far as I can see it?
The seller told me now he bought it back in the seventies for 250 euro at an auction, it was probably not the best buy, and hardly a gramophone that now will return much of his investment from back then.
Attachments
8.jpg
9.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

nostalgia wrote:I asked for more photos, and finally received two. I guess this confirms that Roger (epigramophone) was right,
this is very much homemade, and also actually electrically powered, as far as I can see it?
The seller told me now he bought it back in the seventies for 250 euro at an auction, it was probably not the best buy, and hardly a gramophone that now will return much of his investment from back then.
That is a spring motor, not an electric one. I can see the ratchet and pawl on the winding gear!

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Always great to be corrected, I thought it was a spring motor, possibly later being electrified. What is that white wire doing there? If one is looking carefully at some of the other photos, one can also actually see the same white wire coming from the gramophone? Any input is really appreciated, a lot :)

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

nostalgia wrote:Always great to be corrected, I thought it was a spring motor, possibly later being electrified. What is that white wire doing there? If one is looking carefully at some of the other photos, one can also actually see the same white wire coming from the gramophone? Any input is really appreciated, a lot :)
Are you referring to these unrelated white wires that originate under the phono at the wall outlet and obviously go to a lamp or something...? :? There is no reason to believe that they come from inside the gramophone...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 2.15.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 2.14.44 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Yes, I thought it was the same white wire as coming out from the motor on the left side, but that is maybe not a wire at all? I thought a white wire was coming out of the motor on the left side, before disappearing through a drilled hole in the motorboard, but my eyes are most probably failing me,,again.

PS, I have by the way right now opened a thread in the Tips and Tricks forum. After yesterday servicing my first HMV 102 after the winter, I during that service came across something that I really don't understand..Another mystery ( to me), to hopefullly be solved.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

It's the speed control lever. It looks possibly as though someone may have taken some outer insulation from thick electrical cable, split it and wrapped it round the lever for some unknown reason.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you, great to have another gramophone mystery solved:)