HMV Pigmy Grand (Serpentine)

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
gramophoneshane
Victor VI

HMV Pigmy Grand (Serpentine)

Post by gramophoneshane »

I recently bought this machine.
Unfortunately it's been butchered somewhat, but knowing how rare these are, I couldn't resist.
At some stage it appears to have had a back bracket and horn added at the back of the cabinet, and the damage has been repaired rather poorly with filler.
I suspect at the same time the original internal horn was removed, but now there's a metal horn in its place.
It's also had cloth added behind the brass grille, and part of the plywood in the base of the cabinet has also been replaced.
The motor board stay is also missing.

The good news is that it appears to have the correct speed control, brake, reproducer (a Gram Co round hole Exhibition) and rear mounted tonearm assembly.
I'm not sure if the tonearm is actually original to this machine, or if the whole assembly came off a different machine but I thing the tonearm itself is appropriate as it has the recording angel trademark stamped on both sides of the T section of the arm which puts it at around 1911, which I think would be the approximate date for this machine with a Nipper transfer.

I don't thing the winder is original, as it's been chrome plated at some stage, but thankfully the chrome is peeling off. I don't know if it's a correct replacement size wise or not.
I think it probably should have green turntable felt as well?

If anyone has one of these machines, I'd be very interested in seeing the cabinets interior and the original internal horn design.
Attachments
IMG_20200229_092603~2.jpg
IMG_20200229_092716~2.jpg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: HMV Pigmy Grand (Serpentine)

Post by CarlosV »

I have the straight box version, but apart from the wavy edges of yours the interior should be the same. Pictures are below:
Attachments
HMV Pigmy 5.jpg
HMV Pigmy 3.jpg
HMV Pigmy 2.jpg
HMV Pigmy 1.jpg

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Thank you Carlos. Your pictures are very helpful indeed.
I'm hoping to eventually find a cheap trashed homeless model so I can recycle it's horn and cut a new one for my machine. With any luck I can salvage the motor board stay as well.

I notice your horn has a black plate at the rear of the horn to protect it from any stray oil thrown by the governor.
Is that protective plate metal or something else?

I am a little surprised that there wasn't some sort of bracket or walled off section inside for the tonearm to be placed when the tonearm was removed, to prevent it rolling around, possibly into the motor, while packed to the carrying case for transit.

Thanks again for the pictures.
I presume my horn follows the same basic shape but is around 2" longer over all.
I'll probably attempt to make one out of modern plywood first, then once it fits and looks right, I can use it as a template for cutting a doner horn when one comes along.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

I wonder if your machine has a circular gilt transfer on the rear saying 'Double Spring Pigmy'? A nice detail if it has.

The Pigmys were offered with an optional carrying case. The case had a separate compartment in which to place the easily detachable tonearm.

A nice machine to have! Famous for being the first Gramophone Company machine to be 'hornless' and for being marketed as 'portable' and also for being described as a 'Bum Outfit' by Eldridge Johnson. As soon as I read that I thought 'I'm keeping mine!' it sure adds to the interest and shows what the relationship between Victor and the Gramophone Company must sometimes have been like.

Sorry I can't get you any more pictures I can't get near my machine but Carlos has provided excellent images.

Jamie

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Thanks very much for the info Jamie.

Unfortunately my machine doesn't have the Double Spring Pigmy transfer on the back, and I don't see signs it ever had one.
It may have of course been removed during the back bracket addition or repair if they were positioned centrally on the top half of the back board.

I actually thought after my reply to Carlos, that there may have been space provided in the carry case for the tonearm, as there would have been an empty space at the back of the machine next to the cast iron horn throat/tonearm mount.

Is it known about how many Serpentine Pigmy's now exist, or even the number of single and double spring machines produced?
I believe that until about 20 yrs ago this version was thought to have never been sold.
There certainly appears to be a lot more single spring Pigmy's around if the internet is anything to judge by.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

According to the "His Master's Gramophone" book, total UK sales amounted to 711, compared with 2,346 for the single spring model.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Your Pigmy may never have had the circular gilt transfer.

How many survive is anyone's guess. As soon as someone's says 'this is the only known example' or 'none exist' you can bet a few or even a load will come out of the attic! Neither examples seem to appear that frequently.

I don't think Messrs Oakley and Proudfoot will mind me saying that total UK sales for the single spring pigmy was 2346 and the double spring was 711. This doesn't help with overseas sales but may give an idea of rarity of one to the other. I think I've seen a few Serpantines on the German eBay so it may have sold better there.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Epigramophone got there before me!

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Wow, that's quite a difference.
Even rounded up to 1000 verses 3000 to include foreign sales, or even doubled to 1500/5000, that's still a pretty small number of either version produced. Especially compared to Victor sales at the time.
Thank you both for the info.

It would be interesting to know if the ones appearing in Germany were made by DGAG or in the UK.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Congratulations on your new find, Gramophoneshane:) I love to see photos of HMV models that are rarely found, and also love to hear when they are safely
picked up by someone knowing how to preserve it. :clover: